What did you think about such kind of monetization?

Started by
6 comments, last by Janis_monetizr 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi All,

Just found a interesting site with SDK that provide ability to monetize games with monero mining on user pc, they said that: "It completely safe for user, because it spend only ~3% of CPU time.". I download standalone demo and unity package, seems all work as they describe (spend 3-5% of my CPU), when plugin start his work it tell about that with windows notification, now i plan to create some small game and try this service. What did you think about that?

Spoiler

Web site - https://unity-coin.appspot.com/

Tutorial on youtube - 

Advertisement

I think I'd personally skip past a game on Steam immediately, if I saw that it was mining cryptocurrencies, no matter how little a percentage of the cpu or gpu it used for it, and ofc despite it being only when the game ran.  Irrational, but that's something you must take into account.

I'd also question how much of a payout you'd actually get from this.  I did a bit of googling, and this page https://monerobenchmarks.info/ indicates that a 1080TI will mine about as fast as an 8 core Threadripper 1900; about 800 hashes/sec.   Putting 800 into the calculator here https://www.monero.how/monero-mining-calculator it says you can get around $200 by mining nonstop for a year (on fairly highend hardware).  Running only at 3% capacity, results in 200*0.03 = $6/year, which is 6/365/24 = $0.0007 per player hour.  Or in other words, a player would need to play 1/0.0007 = ~1400 hours to earn you $1.   That's ~20 hours a week for  a year.

So, I guess you are going to make a Progress Quest clone? ;)

As long as you were clear to your users that you're doing it, and particularly if you offer a paid version that doesn't mine coins, then I don't mind it.

But if you hide that fact from your users, I believe that to be immoral.  Major stores including Steam, Apple Store, and Google Play have adopted similar positions for their online stores and will ban crypto-miners when they see them. 

With online ads people recognize they're paying for the ad using bandwidth.

With cryptocurrency mining, people often don't realize they're paying with electricity bills, air conditioning bills, and shorter CPU fan lifetimes.

2 hours ago, frob said:

As long as you were clear to your users that you're doing it, and particularly if you offer a paid version that doesn't mine coins, then I don't mind it.

But if you hide that fact from your users, I believe that to be immoral.  Major stores including Steam, Apple Store, and Google Play have adopted similar positions for their online stores and will ban crypto-miners when they see them. 

With online ads people recognize they're paying for the ad using bandwidth.

With cryptocurrency mining, people often don't realize they're paying with electricity bills, air conditioning bills, and shorter CPU fan lifetimes.

Agree) In any way, i plan use it only for my free pc games and do not publish to any store.

14 hours ago, Brian Sandberg said:

I think I'd personally skip past a game on Steam immediately, if I saw that it was mining cryptocurrencies, no matter how little a percentage of the cpu or gpu it used for it, and ofc despite it being only when the game ran.  Irrational, but that's something you must take into account.

I'd also question how much of a payout you'd actually get from this.  I did a bit of googling, and this page https://monerobenchmarks.info/ indicates that a 1080TI will mine about as fast as an 8 core Threadripper 1900; about 800 hashes/sec.   Putting 800 into the calculator here https://www.monero.how/monero-mining-calculator it says you can get around $200 by mining nonstop for a year (on fairly highend hardware).  Running only at 3% capacity, results in 200*0.03 = $6/year, which is 6/365/24 = $0.0007 per player hour.  Or in other words, a player would need to play 1/0.0007 = ~1400 hours to earn you $1.   That's ~20 hours a week for  a year.

So, I guess you are going to make a Progress Quest clone? ;)

From one user you wouldn't earn anything in any way) But, i thought in other way: i have mobile game on google store, it has 10 000 installs and i earn 17 $, this plugin work with ~5 H/s on each pc, so if i will have the same 10 000 users on my pc game (it 10 000 users * 5 H/s = 50 MH/s) and each one will play only 1 hour it will bring me 958 $, looks cool do you agree?))

On 9/9/2018 at 7:25 AM, Viridis said:

Agree) In any way, i plan use it only for my free pc games and do not publish to any store.

From one user you wouldn't earn anything in any way) But, i thought in other way: i have mobile game on google store, it has 10 000 installs and i earn 17 $, this plugin work with ~5 H/s on each pc, so if i will have the same 10 000 users on my pc game (it 10 000 users * 5 H/s = 50 MH/s) and each one will play only 1 hour it will bring me 958 $, looks cool do you agree?))

This math seems off.  10.000 * 5 H/s isn't 50 MH/s.  It's 50 KH/s; a thousand times less.  If your 10.000 users could really make you $958/hour as you say, at 3% capacity, that means 1 users could generate 958/10000/0.03 = ~$3/hour at full capacity, and 3*24*365 = $25.632 in a year.  If that were true, the world would be a different place :)  It's around 125 times more than the $200 the online calculator expected.

I agree with Frob though, there's nothing immoral about this, as long as the users are informed.

1 hour ago, Brian Sandberg said:

This math seems off.  10.000 * 5 H/s isn't 50 MH/s.  It's 50 KH/s; a thousand times less.  If your 10.000 users could really make you $958/hour as you say, at 3% capacity, that means 1 users could generate 958/10000/0.03 = ~$3/hour at full capacity, and 3*24*365 = $25.632 in a year.  If that were true, the world would be a different place :)  It's around 125 times more than the $200 the online calculator expected.

I agree with Frob though, there's nothing immoral about this, as long as the users are informed.

Sorry, you are rigth: it 50 KH/s and it will give $1.08 with 10 000 users when each one will play a hour. Do not pay attention to that 3%, only thing which have matter is hash rate, for example it 3-7 H/s on my PC.

But in any way, it's not absolute numbers and as long as monero price will grow you will have more money, and as a option chance to mine monero and wait for best exchange rate))

Hey, if you are interested, we are currently developing an  SDK, that enables gamers to opt-in and mine cryptocurrencies while playing game, that allows gamers to recieve cryptocurrencies while playing.
this soultion is in Beta now and if you are interested, you could join for beta test. http://themonetizr.com/applications We would really love to hear the feedback form game develoeprs.

Also I wanted to say that this is our upcoming service, but isn't our first one. We already have created a game reward engine that helps game developers to monetize their games and enhance the experience of gamers where we already are working with 30 game studios.
Monetizr is not asking money for product integration. Cooperation model is profit-sharing from transactions. Some of the companies that are already using this service: http://bit.ly/monetizr-casestudies

And it works like this: 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement