Some DAW Questions

Started by
8 comments, last by Jema 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi, everyone! I've been getting over an illness, so I haven't been as active as I'd like to be. However, I'm actually curious to know what kind of DAWs everyone is using? I'm still a hobbyist, and I've been using Rytmik Studio for some time now. It isn't bad for the price, but I'll show you where it gets a little tricky.

Each piece of the track I make can have a total of 4 channels, so I can build off of something and make slight variations with a few clicks of a button. The song track itself also only has a total of 4 rows to work with, so this limits my space. Still, all of the audio mastering, sidechaining, etc., can be done within the program before I export a track, and there are quite a few samples, in addition to being able to upload/record my own.

Again, it's not bad for the price, but I think it might be limiting what I can do because of how much limited "real estate" I have to work with for each track. 

2018-09-09_14-40-14.png

2018-09-09_14-41-28.png

2018-09-09_14-46-47.png

2018-09-09_14-49-11.png

Advertisement

I use Pro Tools HD, Nuendo 8, Digital Performer, Ableton Live, Logic Pro X, Studio One Professional 4, and Reaper. Any of these will work for basic audio, and you only need one DAW. I work with a wide variety of professional producers, but its perfectly normal for a studio to only use one or two DAWs.

This is my placeholder signature

In my home studio my main DAW is Logic Pro X. I use this for composition, sound design and mixing. Also works great for working to picture. I do have Reason as well and sometimes use Rewire to bring in some of those unique Reason sounds I have into my Logic sessions. For large audio editing jobs - mainly dialog - I have Pro Tools 12 Native. It just has the best, most fluid audio editing workflow I've ever experienced. Aside from that, I sorta hate Pro Tools and REALLY dislike Avid's business practices. For simple audio editing at home I use Amadeus. Not my favorite but Bias Peak Pro is no longer supported and doesn't work with my current OS anymore. On PC I LOVED Sound Forge but the Mac version was so bad I just never looked back after trying it out. Maybe version 3 is better?? 

In my work studio it's much more simple - we use Cubase. I don't like some of Cubase's set up, especially when working to picture but it gets the job done. :) For audio editing we use Audition, which is actually pretty nice. I just dislike how Adobe forces you into the subscription model for that program. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I use this for composition, sound design, and mixing. Also works great for working to picture. I do have Reason as well and sometimes use Rewire to bring in some of those unique Reason sounds I have into my Logic sessions. For large audio editing jobs - mainly dialog - I have Pro Tools 12 Native. It just has the best, most fluid audio editing workflow I've ever experienced. Aside from that, I sorta hate Pro Tools and REALLY dislike Avid's business practices. Regards, 3ds emulator Cartoon HD  playbox hd

I'm one of the few who uses FL Studio as their main DAW. I don't really believe that your choice of DAW matters too much in the end. Actually creating the music and arranging the instruments is the real work; the DAW just is your work-space for doing so.

Alec Weesner | Video-Game Composer

www.alecweesner.com

I use Studio One 2 and Cakewalk Sonar X3. 

I don't have many virtual instruments, as I decided early one not to buy VI (bad advise though :P). Instead I have Roland FA-06 as my main sound module. The thing is, Studio One is not cooperating with external sound module very nicely: it lacks the feature to save bank/patch used in a track. I don't see this is coming for SO as no one really use external sound module anymore... (apart from that, Roland doesn't make a VI for their synth any more it seems).

So currently I mainly use Sonar X3 as it plays better with an external sound module.

I only use Studio One for video's audio editing and live recording (which I rare do one nowadays). 

Personally I prefer Cubase but couldn't afford it. The truth is, I've got those 2 DAWs from sales. I haven't got any DAW at full price...

http://9tawan.net/en/

When I'm writing music, I usually do it with Ableton Live 9, because I use Ableton Push A LOT. Once the music is done, if I have to record instruments or vocals I move to my studio where I work with Logic Pro X. Most of the time I also mix with Logic, but I would mix with Ableton if the aux channels and sends resembled more a mixing board and less a djing setup. Also, Ableton's display of inserts makes the workflow sluggish when it comes to mixing, imho. 

Musician • Producer • Teacher

www.alexcalero.com

hello@alexcalero.com

Thank you, everyone! 

I did look a little into Reaper and Cubase over the weekend. Both look pretty cool. I may have to start getting some trial versions going to see what suits my needs!

Use digital performer to make midi mockups. I compose otherwise with sibelius since i work with musicians and they need their parts to play.

For simple audio edits i use audacity.

Also use different kind of softwere when i work with audio. Izotope rx, pro tools and so on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement