• Advertisement

I'm writing a rendering system for our in-house game engine. My idea at first was to include only a Vulkan backend,but then Apple refused to port vulkan to MacOs and Microsoft relased their DXR raytracing for DirectX12. There is stil Radeon Rays for vulkan, but DXR is directly integrated with the graphic API. So we were thinking of a multiple backend rendering system with Vulkan for windows and Linux, Directx12 for Windows and Metal2 for MacOs. But this system would lead to an incredible amount of code to write than a single API, so my questions were:

1. Should we stick to a Vulkan and maybe use a translation layer like MolteVk to port it to macOs ?
  2. Is it worth tl write the multiple APIs renderer ?
  3. Should we write a different renderer for each platform and then ship separate executables ?

(Sorry for possibly bad English 😁)

Edited by LukeCassa005

Advertisement
11 minutes ago, LukeCassa005 said:

Microsoft relased their DXR raytracing for DirectX12

There is already a NV Vulkan extension with the same functionality. It may not be public yet, but should not last long...

On 9/11/2018 at 10:59 AM, JoeJ said:

There is already a NV Vulkan extension with the same functionality. It may not be public yet, but should not last long...

Thanks, I'll check it out.