Semi-complete Newbie

Started by
33 comments, last by ChaosEngine 5 years, 7 months ago
2 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

significant number of AAA games in the last few years being shipped on the same engine available to you, for free.

AAA game != a good game. Most of it is one other River Rider clone with advanced models but boring gameplay .

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

Advertisement
2 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

AAA game != a good game. Most of it is one other River Rider clone with advanced models but boring gameplay .

No, I mean an actual AAA game. Produced by a well known studio, funded by a major publisher.

Fortnite, the most successful game of the past year. Gears of War 4. Street Fighter 5. Darksiders III. And so on and so on.

These aren't games build by some kid playing with a WYSIWYG level editor. They are each major productions costing tens of millions of US dollars.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

7 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

Okay, speaking as a Moderator, this discussion has been seriously derailed. Please keep subjective opinions on languages and engines out of this thread, and any similar threads, as they don't relate to the original post or the original poster's situation.

23 hours ago, Ryan Wood said:

I'm sorta familiar with Python and C# so I'm not completely new to programming. I want to get into C++ because from my understandings it is widely used for video game programming and that's what I eventually want to do

There are plenty of AAA titles written in C# and even a few in Python (EVE online uses Stackless Python). So you can definitely keep programming in C# or python for the moment.

That said...

Also please correct me if I'm wrong on C++ being a good language to learn for console gaming.

C++ is definitely a large part of game programming especially AAA titles. There are a lot of existing tools, libraries, etc that use C++.

If your ultimate goal is to get a job in the industry programming AAA games, knowing C++ is pretty much a requirement. Also, once you learn C++, you will really appreciate the luxuries of other languages ?

what you all thinks is the best way to learn C++?

@Rutin has already given the best advice here. Get a good book, download a compiler (Visual Studio has a free version and is widely used in the industry) and start writing programs. Start small and work your way up. I would advise sticking to text-based stuff until you are comfortable with the language, then you can start to look at graphics APIs. 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement