Video game soundtrack

Started by
4 comments, last by stealth1997 5 years, 7 months ago

Hi,

how can I propose my music as soundtrack for a video game?

Thank you

Advertisement

Do you mean, you want to sell your stuff as temp music? Because usually, the soundtrack is very specifically composed for one particular game, not randomly chosen to hopefully match it...

There are so many avenues and paths to go down. Spend some time getting to know the game dev community as well as building up your brand and online presence. Get to know the lingo used - the systems and software used to create and run a video game. Start building relationships with other people who do art, programming, producers (team managers I mean, not music producers necessarily) and really begin to learn the process and art of making games. 

And in the mean time, you can start to put your music out on music library sites like Ptietz mentioned. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Absolutely build up a portfolio on an easily accessible platform (SoundCloud, YouTube, whatever) before you do anything else. You can have all of the marketing/branding in the world while no one wants to hire you because you don't have a portfolio they can go off of.

As Ptietz said above, it's very unlikely you'll be able to use your pre-existing music for an actual game soundtrack, as for a good soundtrack to pop it needs to fit directly and specifically with the theme of the game - so unless you get insanely lucky, I'd view your current work as practice rather than actual usable work for a game soundtrack.

There's multiple places you can find projects to join, whether you're looking to get paid directly for your work, you're looking for a rev-share deal, or just a small hobbyist project to join. This very forum is a great way to do just that, in addition to other platforms like Reddit and Nubbl. If you perhaps want to enter the industry in a more professional and higher-level fashion, making connections with people in the industry is super important (and that goes for anything in the games industry, not just composing soundtracks), although of course you'd have to work your way up if that was your goal - you're not going to be making connections with AA/AAA studios right out of the gate.

On 9/18/2018 at 7:12 PM, ptietz said:

Do you mean, you want to sell your stuff as temp music? Because usually, the soundtrack is very specifically composed for one particular game, not randomly chosen to hopefully match it...

Oh no, the stuff is absolutely free. I can customize the lyrics if it needs.

Let me know

On 9/18/2018 at 8:54 PM, nsmadsen said:

There are so many avenues and paths to go down. Spend some time getting to know the game dev community as well as building up your brand and online presence. Get to know the lingo used - the systems and software used to create and run a video game. Start building relationships with other people who do art, programming, producers (team managers I mean, not music producers necessarily) and really begin to learn the process and art of making games. 

And in the mean time, you can start to put your music out on music library sites like Ptietz mentioned. 

Ok thank you!

On 9/19/2018 at 1:36 AM, cosmopath said:

Absolutely build up a portfolio on an easily accessible platform (SoundCloud, YouTube, whatever) before you do anything else. You can have all of the marketing/branding in the world while no one wants to hire you because you don't have a portfolio they can go off of.

As Ptietz said above, it's very unlikely you'll be able to use your pre-existing music for an actual game soundtrack, as for a good soundtrack to pop it needs to fit directly and specifically with the theme of the game - so unless you get insanely lucky, I'd view your current work as practice rather than actual usable work for a game soundtrack.

There's multiple places you can find projects to join, whether you're looking to get paid directly for your work, you're looking for a rev-share deal, or just a small hobbyist project to join. This very forum is a great way to do just that, in addition to other platforms like Reddit and Nubbl. If you perhaps want to enter the industry in a more professional and higher-level fashion, making connections with people in the industry is super important (and that goes for anything in the games industry, not just composing soundtracks), although of course you'd have to work your way up if that was your goal - you're not going to be making connections with AA/AAA studios right out of the gate.

Thank you ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement