Music on the Same Computer While Programming?

Started by
20 comments, last by mr_tawan 5 years, 6 months ago

Today someone mentions to me that they are using Spotify.com.  My general question is, "are there any risks or drawbacks to listening to music through an internet connection on the same computer while coding?"  And, "are there any risks or drawbacks to listening to a music cd on the same computer while coding?" 

Thank you for helping us with our enjoyment,

Josheir

Advertisement

Yes, there are many risks.
I listen to music on my 2nd machine because if I am programming on my first machine then it is likely to crash, freeze, stall to gather resources, etc.

As you can imagine, these interruptions to the music are a very serious issue and should be taken seriously.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I listen to music from HD, and i also have other stuff running all the time. Never any issues. The only app which ever crashes is my own. :)

You must do regular backups anyways in case of HD malfunction, so spending energy and money on a 2nd machine just to listen music would be a waste.

Music uses very little CPU and streaming it over the internet isn't any more dangerous than browsing any other website (assuming you stream from trustworthy service). Worst case scenario - your parallel build hogs too much CPU and your audio starts to lag / repeat / etc.

I know a lot of people that keep Youtube on all day longs just to listen the music while working. Programmers included.

Spottify apps on PC are just a browser-based application (I think they use Electron) so basically it use resource as much as Chrome.

CD Player uses even less resources as they are recorded as PCM, no decoding required.

However if you are not comfortable with listenging music on the same machine, consider buying a portable player. I used to use iPod classic during my coding. Of course you can use your phone as well but I find it interrupting me too often.

http://9tawan.net/en/

I take my music seriously (whether I want to or not).  Unless for some reason I'm listening to music I don't care for, the music usually grabs my attention and I really can't concentrate on anything else.   The only things I can do while listening to music are things that are automatic, like driving for instance. However I know a lot of people that put on music while working, so I guess it's different for different people.

3 hours ago, Zaoshi Kaba said:

Worst case scenario - your parallel build hogs too much CPU and your audio starts to lag / repeat / etc.

That happens to me all the time. Building or starting multiple apps and services usually blocks the entire machine for the next 5 to 10 minutes.

Never had any issues as long as I didn't mess with the audio driver. Spotify and YouTube are both fine. Netflix (at least when run as a Windows Store App) is a different story, though, because they do mess with the audio driver. Be careful with that.

16 hours ago, Josheir said:

"are there any risks or drawbacks to listening to music through an internet connection on the same computer while coding?

Im usualy watching a detective or sci-fi series from youtube on left-hand monitor while coding using central monitor for code and right-hand monitor for compiler messages. No any slowdowns and e.t.c. Current system uptime over 5 days. And i usualy rebooting system (or better say have power supply issues) not often than once per to weeks. And it on ancient i3-2120@3.3HGz with 16GB RAM , GeForce 1050 GPU and couple of low-speed SATA SSDs one for system and other for working files. For coding im using VS 2017 and VC++ compiler. Also i often use wery heavy by system demands CAD SolidWorks.  And ONLY drawback that i has found - it required to stop movie to view docs from internet without moving IDE windows to background. But card with 4-th active video outputs can solve it issue easily.  

16 hours ago, Josheir said:

"are there any risks or drawbacks to listening to a music cd on the same computer while coding?" 

Is it MP3 or CD-audio format? MP3 and etc by CPU processing is about same than internet radio, just different input sources. But CD-audio played compitely by CD-Drive without any CPU usage. Really it possible to just plug CD-Drive to power  without data cable and  play a CD-audio using front panel buttons to control playback.

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement