Help with creating characters for action/fighting game

Started by
16 comments, last by RevanT1 5 years, 5 months ago

It's for a bunch of different characters that you can pick and choose from and do battle, shoot and fight (think Overwatch plus Street Fighter) but I want to base some of it on real life fighting styles and weapons (yeah seems kinda odd for a fictional game style but I like it for some reason).

One of my cast I have has a scary theme to them. A surgeon and nurse and they fight together. The surgeon is more a long range zoner and uses more hallucinations and poison based weapons from far and the nurse uses more syringe and scalpel weapons from close quarters and is like a rushdown. They can also throw scalpels from far away. What would make sense for their fighting style and background? Make them combat field medic experts they're trained in? Or martial art knife fighting and throwing skills they were trained in? what's also a cool background story for where they were from? US? Ireland? Indonesia?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

I didn't get it about the surgeon and the nurse. I mean, do you want them to fight against two other characters, for example? In that case, maybe you should find different kind of couples to fight. Perhaps a trapeze artist and a clown against the surgeon and the nurse? But I don't know it those characters would be funny enough.

Think about warriors, soldiers, ninjas and things like that. They are always cool.

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

On 10/22/2018 at 4:18 AM, Esteban5XG said:

I didn't get it about the surgeon and the nurse. I mean, do you want them to fight against two other characters, for example? In that case, maybe you should find different kind of couples to fight. Perhaps a trapeze artist and a clown against the surgeon and the nurse? But I don't know it those characters would be funny enough.

Think about warriors, soldiers, ninjas and things like that. They are always cool.

You're right. That's why I was thinking of making the surgeon now his own character and more of a trained biochemic mad doctor might sound cooler. Using toxins, gas weapons, chemicals and such. The nurse I might change into this beautiful female that uses martial arts, trained in gene therapy, and can use other characters data to input into her system. I wanted to make her either African American or Puerto Rican?

I like soldiers, ninjas, warriors, etc, I actiually have an idea for a cybercop fighter. Which would make her more unique? A black female British cop? Or a blonde Aussie female cop? And I wanted one good cybercop and one bad rogue cybercop, maybe the bad one being male? Is having two cybercops too much? Thanks for the help.

I rather play the cybercop one instead of the surgeon/nurse game. It's OK if you have two cops, and thinking about cyber, I strongly recommend you Runier, a totally brutal game. Maybe thisw could help you with the storyline, the graphics and also gameplay.

Thanks, I will check it out. the thing is this is a fighting game basically so I wanted to have as many variety of characters for the player to choose from. Which is why I would change the surgeon into a mad doctor biochem fighter. And nurse would be a female mad scientist. I have plenty more sci fi characters, alien ideas, monsters, etc. the thing is either the afro-British lady could be the cybercop or the blonde Aussie lady as the cybercop, unless I include both and make one good and one bad, only problem is they are too similar cause it is hard for me to come up with different cyber cop ideas.

Does blonde female Aussie secret spy agent sound cooler for the Aussie girl? Or leave her cybercop?

Yeah, sounds better if the Aussie Female becomes to a secret spy agent. Ok, now I underdstand the type of game. This kind of video games require very interesting characters, because they are who give strength to the game. Think about fighting games like Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat. They get used to creating two similar characters but quite like differents. For example, Scorpio and Sub-Zero, Riu and Ken.

Yeah I think this will work good for Aussie female character.

This is true, I want each character to be very unique. Those fighting game series are good examples. So if I made  a black female British cybercop maybe more good/neutral, would it then sound better if I made an evil male British cybercop similar to Lex Luthor? Or American? Or French seem cooler? I was thinking for the British black female cybercop she would have an electric shield, kali stick fighting weapon with martial arts training. Maybe the bad cop could be more heavy, armored shield, police helmet and gear used for breaking through walls? Or should the bad cop have the electric shield, stick and taser? Are they still too similar? Or I could make the bad cybercop another British female as well but make her more like a female version of Robocop or Bladerunner girl villain? Thanks again.

I love the Lex Luthor character idea. Perhaps it's because of my old times reading Superman comics. Besides, the idea of making the bad cop more heavy is cool, even if this character looks pretty similar than the other one. I mean, look at Riu and Ken: they are quite like similars but, despite of that, they have different personallities. In my opinion, you should stop thinking about character's personalities and start searching for the main concept of the video game: aesthetics, storyline, whye are they fighting for, why are they fighting against others. Once you describe the location, the time and the concept, you will introduce easily  the characters.

By the way, Robocop style is really cool.

He might look similar to the style of the good female cop but I would like him to still be different enough you could distinguish them apart that they are not the same. Thanks, I like the Lex Luthor idea for him too. Maybe some Robocop influence. The problem is despite characters like Ryu and Ken who are similar but different, I wanted to go for a more different angle approach where almost every character is completely different in style and is sort of based off a popular trope. If I can manage to make both cybercops very different than maybe this could work.

I could connect these two characters into the story, like the Lex/Robocop guy was the chief police commissioner boss of the cybercop womans unit which became corrupted with all police forces around the world becoming bad do to dystopia society which her and her cop partner rebelled against, then her partner is murdered and she enters the fight to get answers and the Lex Luthor/Robocop chief would be the one responsible for her partners death. Is this a good start in story connections for these characters?

Well, it could work. Let's start with this idea and show us later some updates.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement