What is the hardest thing you come across building a game?

Started by
23 comments, last by mr_tawan 5 years, 6 months ago
On 10/2/2018 at 11:26 AM, Finalspace said:

Staying motivated at times when i dont have time to make my game is the hardest thing for me.

As a matter of fact its the reason why i never completed making a single game in my entire life and are now left with a ton of prototypes.

I feel this all too often, but do you think it might be because we lose faith in the project and that the effort remaining isn't going to pay off in the end?

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

Advertisement
1 hour ago, Anri said:

I feel this all too often, but do you think it might be because we lose faith in the project and that the effort remaining isn't going to pay off in the end?

I believe once you lose faith in what your making. it wont be the same. I wan to make a game that's fun, but be able to have people challenge me in it. I want to keep faith that my game will be fun to me and others. So that if it ever hits big. I can be like. wow. That's my creation

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

It's been mentioned already, i think that we are all dealing with the same problems as game devs or someone who has anything to do with games professionally. 

The hardest thing is to draw a line, where you have to stop and overview what you've done. Unless you have a good practical skills and already have visuals of the schematics modulized.

I also find it hard to come up with an idea which hasn't been done before. Or if it's even possible to implement in the game. Usually the impossible ones are not taken, just because no one can make them. That is a problem.  That said, it comes the day when you realize that your whole work has been done by someone you did not know prior to starting the project.

I can imagine 1000 Isaac Newtons working on one idea, and when one of them came out, the other 999 Newtons had to stop to evade plagiarism

From a hardcore hobby perspective, one of my difficulties is writing reusable game play code. Its easier with engine code but to be able to just pull behavior from a previous project with out heavy modification is rewarding. On the art side, my weakness is in concepting. When a base look has been established, then the wheel just turns.

For me, someone who just got into game development this year, the hardest part has been staying motivated on a single project. It's so easy to start something and get into a month of work and just lose all that pastion over a few hurdles or just not being able to match the overall quality of the game that you have in your head. Then you get a new idea so you start a new project and before you know it another month passes and you reached the same point again. So in short the hardest part for a new game dev/artist has been commitment.

Jumbuno

On 10/1/2018 at 9:40 PM, Lactose said:

Finishing it.

This, x10. For every project, there's usually many times more programming, artwork, testing, level designing required than initially envisaged. Most people lack the ability to both take this into account in the planning stage, and to stick with it when it inevitably starts taking longer than they imagined.

Empirically I wouldn't be surprised if less than 1 in 10 projects makes it through from beginning to completion.

wow. Ok, that's good to know.  I wonder what makes some projects not go through. Either money, or something couldn't get fixed in the game. I want to make a game and the stuff I want to make in the game has been done in other games. mechanics wise. But I want to switch it up into my own Ideas. I use everything I see when thinking of my game. of the world? How it works? what logic will I be using? is this earth or mars, the moon ect. When I think of my story I also think of the gameplay. What am I trying to have the play feel? But some of the stuff you guys said. i guess I never got into detailed with that. I have a lot to think about.

where to start. You ever feel like you have all the tools to build something, you just don't have the instructions pad with you? That's where I'm at. I'm stuck between all this knowledge I have to build a game. The story, plot weapons armor activities of what you can do in the game. But the only part I'm missing the tech part. Honestly I want to learn to a certain point but I don't want to spend my life learning code. I just want to make games. So I'm hear to learn

23 hours ago, GoliathForge said:

From a hardcore hobby perspective, one of my difficulties is writing reusable game play code. Its easier with engine code but to be able to just pull behavior from a previous project with out heavy modification is rewarding. On the art side, my weakness is in concepting. When a base look has been established, then the wheel just turns.

I agree with you a lot. Keep asking myself all the time, when is the object prototype enough to make it reusable? I feel like always adding something here and there up to the point it is not reusable anymore. Inhereting half the stuff you don't need from the prototype is not a good practice though, i fill it with methods anyway. Really hard to decide when it's fully reusable 

I've been 'finishing' my game for 5 years... I quit my job in 2012 to be able to work on it full time... 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement