What Makes a great Sci-Fi?

Started by
17 comments, last by TraderJones 5 years, 6 months ago
5 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

It's a broad question. The feedback you've gotten about "what is sci-fi" are appropriate in trying to narrow the question. Star Trek and Star Wars (sci-fi or not) were TV/movie shows - the popularity of the games made from those IPs were primarily popular because they were based on those highly popular IPs.  That suggests that the formula for success begins with an already-popular IP.  Until you get to Wing Commander, which was a 3D space combat sim that became a series because it was well designed and sold well.

In games, "sci-fi" is not a genre. We have simulations, RPGs, RTSes, adventure games, shooters, etc. I3Di, do you consider Borderlands a sci-fi game? Do you consider games with zombies to be sci-fi? I guess what I'm trying to get at is that your question needs focusing. Nobody can give you "the five steps that guarantee you'll have a hit sci-fi game." There's no simple formula. I don't know this game "World Max" that you mentioned. We can give you better answers (better ideas) for your idea if we know more about the genre, the basic play mechanics you're contemplating. 

Okay, spoke before reading this. You want to make a game about space travel? With trade, diplomacy, combat...?  

World Max is what I have spent the last year on.  It's a procedural world generator.  I plan to debut it at the next gaming convention here at the Eastridge Center where my store is located next summer.  It' generates terrain, populates the world with trees, foliage, creates a separate database for each world using seeds and vector databases.  I've made it to be compatible with Arc SRTM technology but that will take some time to integrate, so thinking on sticking with this and working the other in later.  I'm doing atmospheric differential equations right now.  But, I am thinking, if it generates 1 entire world and then get's compressed, I could potentially generate entire worlds and galaxies that could be streamed.  I personally love Sci-Fi and that would be far better than a RPG starter for it.  RPG's are a dime a dozen, Sci-Fi's, well, nothing terribly great yet.  Beautiful, not phenomenal and entirely immersive.

To narrowing the question, this is a brain storm by the community.  I hope to gleam lots of input and I am simply testing the notion.  I want to start small but think big.  Expansion is key and planning expansion in early design is important, but understanding what has been done and it's effect in other games and the views, well, it's simply, what to you, personally makes the game?  What elements did you like what do you feel overall is missing, how could you combine your ideas into something great for you personally?

4 hours ago, Anri said:

I suppose the winning formula can be found in works by Verne and HG Wells.  Those were the stories that presented science fiction to the masses before the miracle of film, and if you read them and then study their authors and how they came to write them, then you can start to grasp how much they have influenced sci-fi and fantasy films over the last century.

If you watch The Empire Strikes Back carefully, you can almost make out War of the Worlds.  The empire are the Martians with their overwhelming technology whereas the force is "our microscopic allies" - the Bacteria.  The Empire takes almost everything from our beloved heros and just when the baddies have them beat, Luke places his faith in the force which allows him to connect with his family and start to resolve the galactic conflict.  Yoda teaches us that it is the smallest things in life that are important, but we are blind to that when faced with great adveristy and fear of loss.

Its so easy to look to Star Wars, Back To The Future and Aliens as if they are the turning point in science fiction, but the attempts to emulate their success usually fail to meet expectations because film makers today lack the wonder of past generations where they had little but the imagination with which to build their worlds.

We know that we currently cannot joyride around the solar system, but stories, films and games allow us to over come that fact by saying "okay, lets pretend we have the technology to do that - how would that affect our life?  Would it destroy or revolutionise it?".  For some there is another question "what is stopping us from doing that?".

A computer allows us to simulate that experience to a certain degree - which is constantly changing as we struggle to find the limits of technology.  Elite Dangerous is a game that can truely make us believe we can become part of the cosmos and actually own a space ship.  Playing ED in the dark, using a flight joystick etc - you might as well be flying around in space...

On a personal note, I'm very fond of the Atredies palace in Cryo's Dune.  Whether its in the David Lynch movie, Si-fy series or even the books - its like an old friend to me and a pretend holiday home once every summer.  A similar feeling we get when seeing Bilbo's house once again in The Hobbit after all those years since the first three movies.

I guess what I am trying to say is look back into the mists of time and discover what made us fall in love with sci-fi in the first place, and then how we can bring those worlds and situations to life.

This is a awesome response.  I happen to love Jules Verne.  I have read all his works.  20,000 leagues, Journey to the Center of the Earth, From the Earth to the Moon, Around the World in 80 days.  Very great response, and I agree.  When I was growing up I had imagination and when the first Atari systems came out and I played the first attempt at them, I was already envisioning 3D adventures, dragons, heroic characters but much more alive than digital really.  Being a kid.  I will be reflecting on that, because you are absolutely right.  Digital Media, Computers, Technology has taken a lot away from the simple imagination and bringing it to life in our conversations, writings, and thinking.  Instead, we work feverishly to create our own versions on a computer and spend more time doing the work than writing a simple novel with words.  Word Pictures are the spice of any great work.

Advertisement
13 hours ago, I3DI said:

I could potentially generate entire worlds and galaxies that could be streamed. 

So you could make Second Life with a sci-fi theme. A persistent world game, for multiple players.   Yes, you can create a universe with multiple worlds separated by huge spatial distances. One danger is that you have more fun designing the worlds than your players have living on them. You need to figure out the science your fiction is based on, otherwise if space travel is commonplace, then space is akin to a world full of island nations, with slow travel between them. It doesn't inherently suggest fun gameplay, in and of itself.

Science fiction at its best is centered around some technology advance, and the consequences of how that technology works. A sci-fi author might imagine a realistic-seeming drawback to space travel. Such as for instance the passage of time. Maybe it takes such a huge chunk out of your life that you don't want to travel more than once or twice (although there are people who've done it 4 or 5 times and are now physically nearing 100). So reasons to travel have to be darned good reasons.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

11 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

So you could make Second Life with a sci-fi theme. A persistent world game, for multiple players.   Yes, you can create a universe with multiple worlds separated by huge spatial distances. One danger is that you have more fun designing the worlds than your players have living on them. You need to figure out the science your fiction is based on, otherwise if space travel is commonplace, then space is akin to a world full of island nations, with slow travel between them. It doesn't inherently suggest fun gameplay, in and of itself.

Science fiction at its best is centered around some technology advance, and the consequences of how that technology works. A sci-fi author might imagine a realistic-seeming drawback to space travel. Such as for instance the passage of time. Maybe it takes such a huge chunk out of your life that you don't want to travel more than once or twice (although there are people who've done it 4 or 5 times and are now physically nearing 100). So reasons to travel have to be darned good reasons.

Point well taken.  I think, while having a interactive game that keeps you busy is good, needs to be some plots, consequences, really themed out things in it to force thought.  Right now I am building a shuttle for instance.  Interactive computer system console, the chair, the benches, and engine compartments.  You will be able to interact with the engine, doors, computer systems, program, use Track IR to look around, but, if that's all you have during travel is maintenance, reprogramming, programming maneuvers in the navigation system and maybe a computer game to keep you busy on the shuttle, that will get tedious.  So let's dry run peoples thoughts on the shuttle, the interaction and feel, then come back to how to move those ideas in to the realm of something interesting.  I'm aiming for around a November 1st release of the Shuttle, completely done up, imagined and put together shuttle simulation.

I guess I can throw in my two cents.

I like sci-fi.  I like hard sci-fi and sci-fi about alien encounters.  Actually more the latter.  The thing that does it for me in a sci-fi is mystery.  I like a good mysteries sci-fi book.  A story that keeps providing detail and the mystery just gets more and more interesting, my curiosity grows and I need to know.  

35 minutes ago, Awoken said:

I guess I can throw in my two cents.

I like sci-fi.  I like hard sci-fi and sci-fi about alien encounters.  Actually more the latter.  The thing that does it for me in a sci-fi is mystery.  I like a good mysteries sci-fi book.  A story that keeps providing detail and the mystery just gets more and more interesting, my curiosity grows and I need to know.  

That's awesome because I came up today with the theme behind my project.  I am going to begin putting together a game that keeps on giving with a open ended dynamic galaxy, online-coop and online play, single player, and multiplayer.  I decided the game will be called "Earth - Transcendence".  I am simply taking technology today, evolving it 150 years down the road, but, I am connecting elements from today and plots from today, and reinventing them in the future.  So, right now everybody calls Alex Jones, "Conspiracy Theorist".  But, he say's, "We are at the door of unlocking the secrets of space travel, discovering life extension technologies.  It's a Global Elite that are so damn evil they want to keep it all for themselves and make you slaves!"  Whether you believe it or not, let's just let people believe that World War III is occurring right now, no bombs or guns, but is being fought with psychological warfare, technology, subversion, and all the concepts of thousands of years of warfare combined and the populous uprising wins in 2024, defeating the Global Elite, completing life extension technologies, unlocking the secret to space travel, completing the tether, and 150 years from now, the evil has returned...

Had to really stretch for this idea, but I like it, and it should really strike a tone because it connects today with a possible future, dark undertone, repeated history, but imaginative.  I'll continue the storyline a while in writing, see where I take things, but I think it's a cool idea...

46 minutes ago, I3DI said:

but I think it's a cool idea...

Very cool idea.  I love a good ol' conspiracy theory.

39 minutes ago, Awoken said:

Very cool idea.  I love a good ol' conspiracy theory.

I do to, and I think I know how to get into the whole shebang and set off a series.  ID Software started with Doom.  Great, but not a lot there.  However, if man evolves after this winning in 2024, the space tether gets completed, the first construction on major ships start, Trumps "space force" will be the key for introducing us to the story of 1 man when things begin in 2174. Space marine, deployed from a soon to be doomed ship investigating the disappearance of a single ship in a galaxy far, far away.  It opens the door to a larger universe composed of Terran Men and Women who make up a fleet that we built in 150 years, turns Trump's space force into something plausible, adds that simple 3D shooter, interaction in a well constructed vessel, gives you action, suspense, and if done well, will leave you hanging as we open the larger project and continuation into my companies evolving universe, while introducing a clear and present threat to man related to modern day events and repeating history but nastier and more evil than ever before....

Mix it with 3D Interactive Novel, 1st Person and some tactical.  Keep it small enough to do, but good enough to make people want more...

I think having unique characters that you won't normally find in other games really makes certain games stand out amongst the others. But they have to be well developed, and have a good detail imo.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement