Keyboards for Programmers

Started by
8 comments, last by Luckless 5 years, 6 months ago

Obviously, virtually any basic keyboard will serve for programming. I'm interested if there are keyboards known to be especially good for programmers. If you could use any keyboard on the market what would you use? What do you use now?

Advertisement
14 minutes ago, RidiculousName said:

Obviously, virtually any basic keyboard will serve for programming. I'm interested if there are keyboards known to be especially good for programmers. If you could use any keyboard on the market what would you use? What do you use now?

I've never thought about this to be honest. I'm using a cheap $12(was on sale :D) Logitech K120. I recently trashed my razor keyboard because it kept ghosting keystrokes which was a big pain. I'll use different types of keyboards depending on the workstation as well. The only keyboards I hate using when programming is a laptop keyboard.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Currently using a Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum. I don't use all the LED stuff -- I use it mainly for the mechanical switches (Logitech's own Romer-G), which I much prefer to any of the Cherry series I've tried.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g810-orion-spectrum,review-3384.html

Hello to all my stalkers.

46 minutes ago, fleabay said:

On another note, I've found a way to keep idiots and kids off the keyboard

It keyboard that have keys layout that you most used. Other like color, key profile, switch type, and so on not much significant and subject of peronal preferences. Personally for im typing on low key profile keyboard a litle bit comfortable and faster than on high-profile. Same with keys lighting and e.t.c.

I prefer to code by nights  in darkness, so LEDs is very good  thing for it. Currently im using HQ KB-327F that only LED kayboard around that have exactly same layout as Genius keybord that i used 12 years prior it. Also im worked on many types of keybords starting from IBM model M for IBM PC compatible computres, and some types of keyboards for older computers like ES-1022, including a teletype keyboard for Siemens R300-16. It no significant difference betwin extended keyboards that have a numpad. For compact keyboards that have no numpad, like keyboards of netbooks, it just not comfortable to switch numlock every time when you need to navigate code/data and change digits on it.

#define if(a) if((a) && rand()%100)

So long as you are comfortable and enjoying the work, you don't the bells and whistles.

I'm currently using a Razor Arctoza which can be reprogrammed, but that was intended for dealing with the shortcuts for digital art and design apps. Switching between Maya, Max and Blender is a lesson in frustration but I found the Razor Nostromo better suited for the task.

I'd recommend saving your money and invest in a good chair and desk.  My current chair cost about £230 and recently needed repairing which has just set me back £72.  Ouch.  But its worth it considering how long you spend sitting down and what its doing to your back...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

I like Apple's keyboard or similar, it's less tiring and noisy. I happen to use Logitech K120 now I feel that.

If you are serious about programming, don't be afraid to spend money on a good keyboard. It is your primary interaction with the machine. 

That said, keyboards are a very personal thing. If your definition of "good" is a $500 dollar, backlit, mechanical key monster with all the bells and whistles, you should buy that. Even a tiny increase in productivity and comfort will be worth it over the life of the keyboard.

But if your definition of good is "whatever came with the computer", don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Personally, while I like mechanical switches, I can live without them. I have a Logitech G710+ (what I'd call mid-range mechanical) at home, but a pretty standard MS keyboard at work. As long as the layout is the same, I'm fine. 

If you are working professionally as a programmer, it's a good sign if the company offers to let you pick your own keyboard and mouse (within reason).

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

Thanks everyone.

I ended up going with this. It's a metal/mechnical keyboard with back-lighting. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015MPQQ0A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never found that any one keyboard really made a noticeable difference over others for me. My main daily driver is a Logitech G105, which was chosen because it was the cheapest sane looking keyboard that I could buy locally on short notice that included a cord... For a non mechanical it is a bit on the loud side, but the keystrokes are reliably recorded, keys laid out where my fingers expect them, and really what more does one want from a keyboard?

The other keyboards I commonly use include an old 13" pre-retina Macbook's keyboard, and at times an ancient EeePC netbook with its weird mini-keyboard thing. 

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement