Programmer For Indie Game Website/App

Started by
0 comments, last by indiegameman 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi guys, I first want to start off with a little bit about my background. I've been an active part of the game industry for approximately 7 years now, in various ways (off and on). I first started with helping a game project called BIONITE: Origins. I was responsible for recruiting talent, doing graphics for logos/GUI and marketing. I was also responsible for the Kickstarter campaign. Our target was $15,000 and we finished with $21,457.

I then moved on to help another project that was halfway into their Kickstarter campaign (Insanity's Blade) and struggling to reach their goal of $6,000. We ended with $7,075. The project eventually went on to release and did fairly well.

After that, I stepped in to help launch another Kickstarter campaign (DYNABOT: The Robo Marble). This campaign ended badly and had to be cancelled. Development of the game was also halted.

Around the time I started with BIONITE: Orgins, I started a Twitter account (@IndieGameMan). Since then I've been sharing indie games on a daily basis to help them garner more exposure, as that's something I feel this industry needs. I've grown it to over 60,000 followers and later expanded to Facebook & Instagram. Facebook has been the hardest one to crack, but I've been gathering great momentum on Instagram since joining a little over a year ago.

In 2015, me and my longtime friend started working on a game project. We entered into a competition hosted by Microsoft for independent Canadian developers. It was called Codename GOA. My friend created a small game for a gamejam some time before that and together, we came up with a better idea how to take the game even further. We finished in the top 5 for best Game Design Document and Best Use of Azure (Microsoft's cloud computing service). After the competition, the project was put on the back-burner and hasn't been worked on much since, due to work-life and just life in general. We still plan to work on it when the time is right. 

Which leads me to now.

213263426_59376a_fd5304c4cfe4443eabd092318b5e26ccmv2.png.7c45552e915084b560e29f8304b86649.png

After the Microsoft competition, I began working on an idea I had for an indie game website/app. I wanted to make sense of what I've been doing on social media for so long now, and to create a central hub for indie games/developers, with the goal to continue to make exposure easier for them. It has gone through multiple iterations and I have created several visual prototypes demonstrating how it will work on computers, as well as mobiles devices. The domain name has also been reserved. My plan is to have the main part launch first and then have the other parts launch over time, as I realize the scope of this project. I have plans for monetization, however that's not set in stone yet. I also realize that further down the road, we might have to utilize crowdfunding. I don't want to go into all of the specifics here, but that's the gist of it.

If you have any questions, please ask, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
You can contact me on here, or by email: danrhodenizer[at]gmail[dot]com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement