Not even a beginner yet...

Started by
6 comments, last by Kuurde 5 years, 6 months ago

I've played a lot of games and interested to try learning to make a game. I'm not even qualify as a beginner yet because I haven't even getting started, I only just bought a new bigger ssd to replace my small ssd so I can install unity, and the ssd hasn't even arrived, since there is no forum for below beginner so I'm gonna ask the questions here. 

Recently I've been watching a lot of videos about game making, and for making a game I have to be an artist and a programmer. For the art style I can probablly use pixel art and pick pixel art software like asesprite, but then I realize that I can't draw and I know zero programming language. 

My question is , is it possible to learn just from the internet ? From Youtube tutorials or forum, without taking a major in school specialized in art/programming ? Is there anyone starting from totally ZERO and learn just from the internet ? What do I need ? From what I gathered I will need Unity, Visual Studio for C#, Asesprite for pixel art or animator software like Spine, and start any tutorial from youtube that I'm interested in. or CMIIW.

Advertisement

You can learn solely from the internet, etc. You don't necessarily need art skills - you can use rough placeholder art of your own creation (initially at least), or art (placeholder or otherwise) from third-party sources.

The toolset you mention (Unity, etc.) isn't the only option, but it may be as good a place to start as any. You should be able to find plenty of learning materials for it online.

9 hours ago, Smurfuhrer said:

for making a game I have to be an artist and a programmer

That is only if you want to do all of it yourself. You could also hire an artist (or a programmer, or both) to work with you. While you are learning, you can also use art from the Internet, just make sure to not use it when you decide to make a real game.

You can learn from the internet, of course. 

However, even learning from the internet alone can mean so many things. Eg. learn from the articles/series hosted here in Gd.net, learn from Youtube, learn from online courses like Udemy, or even learn in a virtual class which the instructor teach lives for a group of people via Skype or Youtube livestream. These are all the internet method of learning. Each of them have pros and cons. So choose wisely.

Personally I'd prefer a method where I have a group of class mate so we can discuss, do group work, etc. I think video courses like Udemy is pretty boring.... That said the former is much more expensive. A friend of mine took an AudioKinetics WWise online class at Berklee earlier this year, and that costs $1500, while most Udemy courses are $10-20. 

Choose wisely, live well.

http://9tawan.net/en/

Thanks for the info, I think I'll just use free assets or extract from existing games for learning purpose, or use my own even if it's just the simplest form of art using stick man. It's just learning from the internet is kinda overwhelming, after watching quite a few, while they're informative, but they feel random and kinda like bits and pieces that never gonna make a whole, but first thing first, I'll just try to get started first and ask more later. Thanks again.

Using stick men and similar simple art is so common it has a name: Programmer art

Since you can't install Unity yet, and you probably have a text editor on your computer ... You could start with something simpler, and you won't need art skills either: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Games/Tutorials/2D_Breakout_game_pure_JavaScript

You might give this one a read as well: 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement