In game image memset function not working...

Started by
48 comments, last by L. Spiro 5 years, 4 months ago

We already gave you tons of tidbits, all of which have been ignored.
We have firmly established that your memset() call is wrong, and you haven’t fixed it.

Why do you expect any further help, especially if you won’t post useful code?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement
35 minutes ago, L. Spiro said:

We already gave you tons of tidbits, all of which have been ignored.
We have firmly established that your memset() call is wrong, and you haven’t fixed it.

I'm afraid I concur. If you don't understand the problem with your memset yet, I wonder if at this stage you might be better off trying a higher level language than c++ (perhaps godot / unity / gamemaker etc?), something with bounds checking on arrays that will catch these sorts of errors for you.

c++ is a super powerful language, but the flip side is that it doesn't do any hand holding for you, and will quite happily e.g. allow you to write outside array bounds causing weird bugs further down the line. This is just the tip of the iceberg of problems you may encounter.

16 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

I will not post any more code, as this is a solo, commercial project being carried out by me. 

With all due respect... The individuals spending their time to help you solve your problem are not going to "steal" your code... After all I'm sure everyone that has responded to your problem and understands what is going on could program exactly what you're attempting to do themselves...

When you're learning and unsure of things, there is no reason not to show your code so you can better help those trying to assist as they can review your code and understand what you're doing. In turn you'll hopefully come out ahead knowing more than you did prior.

Best of luck either way... It's a great opportunity when people are willing to take their time to help others in the community. Pushing back on requests that are made in order to help you further isn't a good way to show appreciate for that help.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Might I ask, in what way have you given any tidbits. I have given you an entire function,

yet you keep asking for more. If you are trying to persuade me toward the open source community and GPL, I am not planning on now, and maybe ever, giving out any of my source code, but that may change, later, when this source code means less to me.

Also, how can you prove that I do not know what I am doing? I literally have single handedly  early programmed a full Real Time Strategy Game, and have made it known, and yet you say that I do not know what I am doing.

The reason I came to this site is to get help, and maybe move to making my project open source, but my efforts of getting much help from this question have not been great, and you have not at all answered my question. 

No, I have just gotten wasted posts stating that I have no experience with C++, which is frustrating because I would sometimes stay up until past midnight with several weekends in a row doing programming, usually months at a time.

If you want more code, state what you will need, if it is another function, or even the DirectX 9 files, but I don’t want to let my hard work go to the world in the form of source code, but in the form of a game, which I plan to get working.

I am sorry if you take this post wrongly and I hope you understand what is bothering me, and causing me to write this post. 

However,

BE MORE SPECIFIC

Warmest Regards,

rjhwinner03

You may want to read about the Dunning-Kruger effect. I think you're affected by it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

You don't have to tell us, but please be totally honest with yourself about it. It can only lead to a better you.

12 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

If you are trying to persuade me toward the open source community and GPL

No one is trying to persuade you to open source your entire project.

You have asked for help with a problem you have apparently been unable to resolve. A certain amount of information is required to properly diagnose and aid you in fixing that problem.

If you provide said information, we can help to solve your problem(s).

If you don't want to provide said information, we can at best make some educated guesses.

It's your choice. Help people to help you by providing the required information, or help yourself because no one else will be able to.

12 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

BE MORE SPECIFIC

You have repeatedly been asked specific questions, which you have largely not responded to.

Maybe take a break from the problem and from this discussion, and come back and read the discussion from the start with fresh eyes.

Good luck. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

15 hours ago, rjhwinner03 said:

Might I ask, in what way have you given any tidbits. I have given you an entire function,

When someone tells you how to fix your code, you implement the change and then post the same function again so that everyone can see that the fix has been implemented correctly.
What you must not do:
#1: Not post any further updates.  How are we supposed to move forward without seeing updated code?
#2: Post some other random function.  We are not interested in any code that is not directly related to the problem.
#3: Update the original post with the new code.  Leave the old posts alone and post the same function, with the modifications we told you to make, into a new post.  Not only are we NOT going to jump back and forth between this page and some other page to look at your function, we need to see a history.

I don’t care about your codebase, I don’t care what you open-source or not.  I asked for a single function, which you already posted in the first post (so your reasons for not posting it again are invalid), and 5 pages later we are all still waiting just to see what you have done to that one single function.

Might I ask, in what way have you given any tidbits.

There are 5 pages of tidbits, many relating to your obviously incorrect memset() call, and we have explained at-length why it is wrong.  It is not our jobs to repeat ourselves over and over, it is your job to read it, understand it, and fix it.  We are not moving forward until you have fixed that memset() call, period.  You are overwriting padding on every single line, which is corrupting your texture by itself, and you are overwriting twice as many bytes as there are in your texture, which means you are stomping other memory and creating other bugs.

We’re done with this discussion until you fix it, and we have been very clear how to fix it: REMOVE IT.  You already fill every texel in the texture with your for() loops.  The memset() is not only wrong, it is entirely unnecessary.

Also, how can you prove that I do not know what I am doing? I literally have single handedly  early programmed a full Real Time Strategy Game, and have made it known, and yet you say that I do not know what I am doing.

Many people here are professionals in the industry working regularly on AAA titles.  That is why we are here to help.  How are we supposed to do that when you ignore everything we say?  For example, I wrote in the previous paragraph that you need to remove your memset() call, and yet it is still in your code.

Did you remove the memset() call yet?

but my efforts of getting much help from this question have not been great, and you have not at all answered my question.

Have you removed the memset() call yet?

If you want more code, state what you will need, if it is another function, or even the DirectX 9 files, but I don’t want to let my hard work go to the world in the form of source code, but in the form of a game, which I plan to get working.

Your hard work goes nowhere until you remove the memset() call.

Did you remove the call to memset() yet?

I am sorry if you take this post wrongly and I hope you understand what is bothering me, and causing me to write this post. 

However,

BE MORE SPECIFIC

How much more specific can I get?
Remove the memset() call and post the same function again, with it removed, into a new post, and describe your new results.

Have you removed that call to memset() yet?  Is your memset() call gone from that function?  Did you remove that memset() call from that function yet?

Do you kind-of maybe see where I am going here?

L. Spiro

PS: Have you removed the call to memset() yet?

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

On 11/25/2018 at 8:16 AM, L. Spiro said:

PS: Have you removed the call to memset() yet?

Yes. I have removed the memset. I am getting the same results. I have had it commented out the whole time. But now, I have completely deleted it. It is gone.

I get, now 1/3 - 1/4 of a minimap.

Is there any way that I could do something to substitute for the memset function?

On 11/25/2018 at 2:12 AM, Alberth said:

You may want to read about the Dunning-Kruger effect. I think you're affected by it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

You don't have to tell us, but please be totally honest with yourself about it. It can only lead to a better you.

:( 

On second thought, don't trouble yourselves. I am going to another website. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement