Is there good free music?

Started by
8 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 6 months ago

For example, in an ideal world, this level of quality would be my preference.

I don't know much about the music industry and the technical side of it, but can people 'extrapolate' from established brands to create music of the same quality?

Advertisement

You should have deleted the topic by now. Obviously, no one is going to respond.

47 minutes ago, Armantium said:

Obviously, no one is going to respond.

Challenge accepted! :)

On 10/10/2018 at 9:25 AM, Armantium said:

For example, in an ideal world, this level of quality would be my preference.

You have a preference for a certain type of music - most people do. This acts to make the music you are interested in being a subset of all possible music.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:25 AM, Armantium said:

I don't know much about the music industry and the technical side of it, but can people 'extrapolate' from established brands to create music of the same quality?

Yes, people in general can make music of same quality as that you like, or higher, or lower.

Do people who make such music make it available for free? Sometimes, and sometimes not.

The frustration I get the impression you are trying to get across is a common and valid one, and it is (probably) not due to a lack of suitable music, it is more likely due to the difficulty in finding and connecting with such music and musicians.

If we consider that there are on the order of 8 billion people on the planet, and maybe half of them play an instrument or have had an interest in creating music (4 billion), and they often create multiple bits of music, then your task becomes one of finding that proverbial needle in a haystack, that one in 10 billion or so (and that's just the living artists).

It is a common problem found in all kinds of areas (some interesting studies look at the problem of too much choice). It is, I will grant you, very difficult to narrow down that search space, especially as search results tend to be skewed by popularity, marketing etc. Maybe some enterprising whippersnapper will make a search engine to make this easier based on similarity of music, much like google can find similar images.

1 minute ago, lawnjelly said:

much like google can find similar images.

I'm trying to degooglify as fast as possible.

Important life lesson: You get what you paid for. Applies to just about everything, at least at one point or another. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hi Armantium,

what do you mean by "free music"? Free to listen to? Free to use for private / non-commercial projects? Free to do with whatever you like?

There are some artists that release music for free (most for non-commercial use only). But you probably won't find a famous, top artist giving his stuff away for free, at least not for commercial use.

What do you want to do with the music? Is it for a game? A video? Or just to listen to?

The best free game (and other stuff) music right there : https://soundimage.org/

Everything is free, and nearly all the musics have a looping version, so that you can easily add them to your game. And all you have to do is credit the creator in your project. The guy who owns that website is awesome ! 

I can do my own music, at that level (probably :P), but that's not considered free for my own use don't you think.....

My recommendation is, please subscribe to this channel. Listen to all "Stupid XXX texts" . I think that would help bring some sanity back to you

35 minutes ago, ZOSK said:

The best free game (and other stuff) music right there : https://soundimage.org/

Everything is free, and nearly all the musics have a looping version, so that you can easily add them to your game. And all you have to do is credit the creator in your project. The guy who owns that website is awesome ! 

Who owns the copyright? If the author still retains his copyright then I think it's not consider 'free music' for the game. He just grant the permission to use the song. 

http://9tawan.net/en/

Here's another decent free(you still need to register commercial projects with him @ no cost) library of tunes posted up here not too long ago:

https://jordanwinslow.me/royaltyfreemusic/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement