Enum size

Started by
19 comments, last by Denis Brachet 3 years, 6 months ago
2 hours ago, Denis Brachet said:

It was just a ping just to know. :)

It's pings like this that shows me that there is an interest in a particular feature, and this is what guides me when prioritizing upcoming work. :)

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement

As always, thank you for your continued support of the library. :)

Another thing that would be great is to have scoped enums like modern C++. I guess now it can be obtained with namespaces.

enums in AngelScript are already scoped, in the sense that two different enums can have enum values of the same name. If the compiler cannot automatically determine which one to use by the expression it will report an error of multiple matching values, which the programmer can then solve by adding the enum name as scoping operator to explicitly disambiguate the values.

If you wish, you can also enforce the use to the enum name whenever an enum value is used by setting the engine property asEP_REQUIRE_ENUM_SCOPE.

enum ENUMA { VALUE = 1 }
            enum ENUMB { VALUE = 2 }
            int a = VALUE; // fails with ambiguity
            int b = ENUMA::VALUE;  // ok
            int c = ENUMB::VALUE;  // ok

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Perfect. So the only thing missing is the size (from my point of view, of course).
I've seen your to-do list and I've also seen you prioritized the enum size feature.
Just to know, do you already have a release date in mind, in term of month/year, for the next release?

I'm finishing up version 2.34.0, and hope to release it still this month. The next release after that will hopefully be in first half of 2020.

Hi! Just dropping by to say I ran up against the need for other-sized enums also.
Since C++11 added enums with different underlying int types, I've been often using 4-byte, 2-byte, and occasionally 1-byte unsigned ints.

Not a show-stopper for me, I can work around it easily enough, but I'm glad it's on your TODO!

I didn't even think about enum size, until writing to an enum property overwrote the member variable next to it.

Hi WitchLord, here's another ping. Do you have any news about this topic?

Still nothing :(

This topic is nearly as old as my son, who is at large the main reason of why I haven't been able to progress on this development yet. I truly hope I will start getting some more time available soon to work on my projects.

I don't know why but it's almost 10 months I can perfectly understand your situation…?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement