When downstream processes aren't downstream

Started by
2 comments, last by Kantorus 5 years, 6 months ago

Hi all,

I'm currently working as the sole writer on a project involving around ten people, although I've slipped into more of a design role as required. I'm responsible for mapping out the critical path through the game, which looks like it may become a more involved process later unless we get a level designer on board.

My problem is that all our disciplines have essentially started at the same time, with the project being the metaphorical equivalent of a blank slate. This means that some of the processes that would usually be downstream (music, art etc.) have started at the same time or even with a couple of weeks' head start. I'm conscious of not causing too many reworks in other departments at the same time as not becoming constrained by finished work that never got a chance to be run past the narrative.

Can anyone recommend a good order to tackles things in? I'm pretty new to this — at the moment I've prioritised the critical path for the first section of the game followed by a vertical-slice 'story MVP', but I'm worried I may be missing more important first steps (all the story doc is missing is some societal notes and a couple of character detail sections [four are already covered]). I'd be grateful for any process suggestions that would work in this scenario — at the moment I'm operating a(n infrequently used) feature and story board on Trello to keep things ordered.

Advertisement
On 10/17/2018 at 1:50 PM, Kantorus said:

Can anyone recommend a good order to tackles things in?

First, reach agreement on what you're making. The traditional tool for that is the GDD.  Then plan the hardest part (the programming) - the traditional tool for that is the TDD. From there, you can plan the gating tasks (some use a pert chart for that), and determine when the programming team will need assets (audio and art) in order to first build a playable demo (vertical slice, the heart of the gameplay).  Then playtest and re-evaluate what's needed next.

Trello is good!

Just learned PERT is supposed to be all caps.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

We've got a GDD covered but haven't gone into depth in a TDD yet, so I'll have a look at getting the ball rolling on that. I'd never heard of PERT charts before but they look rather useful, so thanks for pointing them out!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement