• Advertisement
supermikhail

3D artist looking for experience and motivation

I'm a Blender artist out of practice, ever since I became completely disillusioned in the prospect of making My Dream Game all on my own. I probably was never amazing, and idleness certainly hasn't done me any favors. I'd love to regain the ground and improve though. However, I'm in a situation where motivation is hard to come by, and I find it easiest to find by contributing to something somebody else cares about.

Here's some of my recent stuff:

render.png.a62dcc8ab5e6a83299f8e8fd48d68f9a.pngrender0_edit.png.20aed11f55490b90ba5db794f30ef312.png

Plus something I consider my peak work, a couple years ago:

1448939099_sAdKnTG-Imgur.png.12e0ef0e0aa93e3e3e38335de43e080c.png

That one was animated, too.

I'm in the European part of Russia, if that matters.

Advertisement

Where exactly are you. I mean what city (if I'm allowed to ask)? I'm asking because I might be kind of close to you, and at some point I'll need the help of an artist.

Just now, supermikhail said:

Sure, I'm in St. Petersburg.

Ahh .... well not so close. I'm way south. I'm American but I'm in Krasnodar these days. 

So in any case what kind of game is your dream game?

Hey There! I am learning to program games with Unity using the c# language. My art skills aren't so great so I am looking for artists to work with as a learning experience. Maybe we could build couple of simple games with that goal in mind. What kind of games do you wish to make?

11 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

Ahh .... well not so close. I'm way south. I'm American but I'm in Krasnodar these days. 

So in any case what kind of game is your dream game?

I've never worked in this field, could you explain the reason for being in the same city / office? Probably a dumb question... but at the same time, people buy assets without exchanging even a word with the creator. I suppose, quicker feedback?

As I said, I'm disillusioned with the whole idea of the dream game. I suppose some people can pull it off, but for me it always ends up too ambitious for my means. That said,

2 minutes ago, Rafael Coelho said:

Hey There! I am learning to program games with Unity using the c# language. My art skills aren't so great so I am looking for artists to work with as a learning experience. Maybe we could build couple of simple games with that goal in mind. What kind of games do you wish to make?

What ideas I have usually involve a medieval setting, and I've long wanted to participate in the design of something like an RPG. Which might be neither here nor there, considering my amount of experience, and the amount of time it would take. Maybe you have something more feasible and concrete?

I suppose an honest answer is better than an easy one?

2 minutes ago, supermikhail said:

I've never worked in this field, could you explain the reason for being in the same city / office? Probably a dumb question... but at the same time, people buy assets without exchanging even a word with the creator. I suppose, quicker feedback?

As I said, I'm disillusioned with the whole idea of the dream game. I suppose some people can pull it off, but for me it always ends up too ambitious for my means. That said,

Nope, not a dumb question. I would just prefer to work with someone I can talk too directly. Call it a quark.  I guess it's because I want anyone I'm working with to be heavily invested in what we are doing and it's easier to know that in person.

I've actually never worked as a game programmer either.  On the other hand I'm a very experienced programmer, 30+ years. I pretty much feel I can building anything with enough time.  What I want to make is a Fantasy MMO or perhaps even a Sci-Fi MMO akin to the old Traveller table top game. However I know given the shear amount of code I would need to write, it's really not feasible for me to do that on my own, especially since I'm not using a game engine.   I think a game engine would get in the way given the specific requirements of my game, so I'm writing the engine right now, but I only intend to include stuff I actually need. What I'm hoping to do however, is build a demo impressive enough to get some other people involved.  I guess I haven't yet reached disillusionment, so you're father along than me 😀

I think we all have that desire to build our dream game. As someone who also failed before at that, I have been thinking it's a good idea to make "mini games" first as a way of learning the skills to program it. That being said, it just means I am not capable of making big games yet. My advice for you is the standard one: simply start small. I am talking from a progammer point of view however, as I am not an artist I don't really know how this applies exactly but I can say from my experience it's very refreshing to see progress being made. You could try to work on designing the core mechanics of a game, it's concept art, sketch the main elements and get a prototype of the game with those in. Playing the game is great as a motivation to keep working on it. Anyhow, that's what I can say, keep working and learning that one day you will be able to build your dream game! I don't really have a concrete idea for a game we could work on as I said in my last post. That just means that we would also have to work on that.

35 minutes ago, Gnollrunner said:

Nope, not a dumb question. I would just prefer to work with someone I can talk too directly. Call it a quark.  I guess it's because I want anyone I'm working with to be heavily invested in what we are doing and it's easier to know that in person.

I've actually never worked as a game programmer either.  On the other hand I'm a very experienced programmer, 30+ years. I pretty much feel I can building anything with enough time.  What I want to make is a Fantasy MMO or perhaps even a Sci-Fi MMO akin to the old Traveller table top game. However I know given the shear amount of code I would need to write, it's really not feasible for me to do that on my own, especially since I'm not using a game engine.   I think a game engine would get in the way given the specific requirements of my game, so I'm writing the engine right now, but I only intend to include stuff I actually need. What I'm hoping to do however, is build a demo impressive enough to get some other people involved.  I guess I haven't yet reached disillusionment, so you're father along than me 😀

Based on the fact that you're probably at least 20 years older than myself, I could also attribute your attitude to emotional maturity. :) Whereas I've been struggling with a desperate feeling of getting old fast since I was 15 and it hasn't let up yet.

40 minutes ago, Rafael Coelho said:

I think we all have that desire to build our dream game. As someone who also failed before at that, I have been thinking it's a good idea to make "mini games" first as a way of learning the skills to program it. That being said, it just means I am not capable of making big games yet. My advice for you is the standard one: simply start small. I am talking from a progammer point of view however, as I am not an artist I don't really know how this applies exactly but I can say from my experience it's very refreshing to see progress being made. You could try to work on designing the core mechanics of a game, it's concept art, sketch the main elements and get a prototype of the game with those in. Playing the game is great as a motivation to keep working on it. Anyhow, that's what I can say, keep working and learning that one day you will be able to build your dream game! I don't really have a concrete idea for a game we could work on as I said in my last post. That just means that we would also have to work on that.

If you want to, we could look at some gamedev challenges, here or on itch.io. Or, well, wherever, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, supermikhail said:

If you want to, we could look at some gamedev challenges, here or on itch.io. Or, well, wherever, I suppose.

Sure, I'm up to that! :)