What do game testers learn?

Started by
7 comments, last by SillyCow 5 years, 5 months ago

Something is bothering me and I just don't get it. What exactly do game testers learn from the job? All they are ever going to do is report bugs, test the games for bugs and then just walk away so what exactly are game testers learning here?

Advertisement
4 hours ago, CaptainVG said:

Something is bothering me and I just don't get it. What exactly do game testers learn from the job? All they are ever going to do is report bugs, test the games for bugs and then just walk away so what exactly are game testers learning here?

What do programmers learn from their job? All they ever do is implement features, create software architecture and fix bugs.

Hello to all my stalkers.

7 hours ago, Lactose said:

What do programmers learn from their job? All they ever do is implement features, create software architecture and fix bugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the programmers do that is how they can do it in the best possible manner or how they can learn that specific codes are not suitable for specific actions and that is almost limitless.

But game testers, where can you learn further? Bugs are just bugs and there will never be a game that is bug free. You just point the bugs that are very major and then move on to the next game.

3 hours ago, CaptainVG said:

But game testers, where can you learn further? Bugs are just bugs and there will never be a game that is bug free. You just point the bugs that are very major and then move on to the next game.

You can't know which bugs are major and which are minor if you can't find them.

Even if you know a bug exists, it's a lot more difficult to fix something if you can't reliably reproduce it (i.e. you prefer to have detailed steps for reproducing a bug, both for finding the bug and verifying fixes).

Finding bugs can also be done in a number of ways. Managing automated tests is quite different than doing pure manual testing. Even for testing, someone with a decade of experience finding bugs can draw on a lot of knowledge when it comes to which bugs might exist, and see patterns others miss.

Knowledge and experience with different kinds of bugs and testing can be a huge factor -- platform certification testing is quite different from localization testing or network related testing.

QA is a job in which you can improve your skills, just like any other field. You probably won't gain a lot of programming skills from doing QA, but then again you probably don't get a lot of programming skills from making art assets, either.

Basically, you can have good testers, and you can have bad testers. This means that, as a tester, there are things you can learn and improve.

Hello to all my stalkers.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, CaptainVG said:

Who says they have to learn anything? From the perspective of the game developer/publisher, they don't care if they learn nothing, as long as they can do the job.

If the game tester wants to improve themselves, there are several career paths they might take. A technically minded tester might ask to see the code problems associated with their testing and gradually transition to being a developer. A design-oriented tester might look at aspects of gameplay that aren't necessarily bugs, but just don't play that well. A tester with good people skills might look to become a test team lead or even move to a management position. 

Or maybe testing is just a paycheck to them and they do their work and go home.

There's nothing wrong with any of that. Different people have different priorities in life.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
On 10/21/2018 at 8:00 AM, CaptainVG said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the way the programmers do that is how they can do it in the best possible manner or how they can learn that specific codes are not suitable for specific actions and that is almost limitless.

Go back and reread your post. What is says is basically "I know what programming is, so I understand what improvement in programming means. I don't know what testing is, so I don't understand what improvement in testing means." :)

You seem to think that game testing means playing the game and telling someone when you see a bug. This is a very simplified (and wrong) view. Software testing is a complex subject, just look at the size of that Wikipedia article. And as any other complex subject, there are multiple levels of expertise and a lot of room for improvement for beginners.

You learn how to trigger common bugs, you learn where bugs might be hiding, you learn what information to include in a report, you learn what to seek, etc.
If you stay in a single company, then this knowledge may lean towards their games (you may find patterns that indicate possible bugs but only because you know how Rick on the 20th floor codes (it's always Rick, isn't it?)), but at least some of it is always globally applicable.
The task of a tester is to keep finding new bugs, they get fixed, and then the tester tests again to confirm.

Through conversations with artists, programmers, musicians, and designers the testers learn which of these fields is most interesting to the tester for his or her future, and how to apply said field in the context of video games.  Through conversation, you may find out why certain design choices were made etc., and these discussions will make you a better designer in the future than if you just sat and played games, or a better programmer in the future because you got some good in-house advice etc.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I have encountered some really good testers in my non-games jobs.

A good tester was really helpful to the team. I have also seen them advance through the ranks.

The best testers I've known went beyond the testing script that they got:

* They spoke to customers ( they learned customer relations / focus groups )

* They insisted on testing in better "field conditions" (they improved the testing scripts)

* They got involved to the point where they were given outside tasks (they learned the company they were working in, and network themselves)

I've seen testers transition to other jobs such as:

• Developers
  • Operational Officers
  • Salespeople / Marketing / PR
  • Testing managers

That said, if you are allready sure you want to be any of these thing, just go ahead and start learning them. It will be quicker. But if you are not sure what you want, the barrier for entry as a tester is lower. So it is a good job to get exposed to the industry. Although I probably wouldn't recommend a full on degree in S/W testing. It should be an entry level job.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement