Engine developers I call for you! [Programmers, Artists & Tech Artists]

Started by
1 comment, last by Programmer71 5 years, 5 months ago

Hello

To start of this topic I want to introduce myself so that you get an idea of who I am and what my ambitions for this project are.

My name is Hampus, I currently work at Massive Entertainment (Ubisoft) as a Graphics Programmer. I've been into programming for almost 8 years now and I have a degree from the education The Game Assembly under my belt.
Since about 3 year back I've been programming a "hobby" engine, from scratch, at home just so that I had a platform to test technologies & to learn new things. As my knowledge improved and new technologies was discovered I felt more and more attracted to the idea of developing a "real" engine from scratch. An engine that is build truly for next-gen and cutting edge technologies. The project would be open-source, sharing knowledge to the industry, and of course free to use for developers wanting to try it (atleast as a starting-point).

In fact I became so attached to this idea that I actually left all my work on the hobby engine and started setting up a new solution for a "real" engine.
This was in the beginning of summer 2018. As of now the engine is actually running a stable first iteration of DX12 with working scalable threading and the structure is getting there.
Think this sounds a bit interesting yet? Have a look at my (Git Repository)!

Now the reason that I start this topic is because I simply don't have the time to develop this all on my own. I would want some more people to join me to work on this engine together, bringing it to new heights, and hopefully spread knowledge through the industry.
So what is it actually that I am looking for?

Engine Programmers - I need a few fellow programmers that can help me structure the engine and help me build the low-end foundation.
As a programmer you should be confident working with low-level systems and backend engine features such as Rendering, Physics, I/O-management etc.
You should have understanding of how a game-engine works and how to design future-proof systems. Experience with threading is also a very big plus.
Performance is key in game-engines, therefore you should be confident with profiling and debugging of your code.

Technical Artists - I would love to have some tech art aboard aswell for experimenting with shaders, graphical features, performance and tools.
You should be confident in common shader languages (HLSL, GLSL etc). You should have good knowledge of how the graphics pipeline works.

Artists - Since the engine is not up an running full yet, and there isn't a great pipeline for assets, there's not a great need of artists yet.
However, if there is any artist out there who would love to be a part of this journey, I will gladly consider it. There's always a need for art to test with and build environments to test graphical features.
You should be confident in working with any industry-standard modeling program (Maya, 3Ds, Blender) and have a rough knowledge of how a typical asset pipeline works.
You should also be confident working with PBR materials.

General guidelines - If you consider joining, I will require a few things from you.

• You have to follow the coding standard!
  • There will be a strict submit review before any submits go live in the main branch.
  • Take it seriously, be proud of your work.
  • Have fun, share your knowledge, share this project, have a chat with the other team-members.
  • Do NOT under any circumstances do anything illegal with this software. (like selling it or copy others work into ours without permission etc.)

PS! There's still some work that I need to go through on the engine and the documents that comes with it, therefore it might be a bit confusing and the code might be a bit broken at the moment, but I still wanted to put up this ad to see if there's even any interest.

Best regards,

Hampus

Advertisement

Hello i may be interested in the engine programmer position, i am developing an engine an relative tools, in my spare time, and i'd be interested into joining.

My background is software and electronics engineering , please reply to vp8671@libero.it , since i rarely visit gamedev.net now

thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement