What programme or engine can I use to create this game?

Started by
8 comments, last by Thunderkat 5 years, 5 months ago

Hello!

First, i want to apologyze if I make some spelling mistakes, my native language is Spanish.

Straight to the point, I want to make a game but i don´t know anything about programming. I have the idea but I need the resources.

It´s similar to a game that was very popular a few years ago called "4 pics 1 word". I want the game to show one, two or three pics or gifs, then the player can write what they think the answer is below. After that, if what they write is correct, they pass to the next level. I also need a menu.

The game is meant to be played in android.

Thank you very much!

Advertisement

That is a great idea for a first time game, in all honesty. 

But, it all depends on how serious you are about the idea.  Are you willing to learn how to do SOME programming?  If so, try checking out some of the Unity3D videos/tutorials on how to make a game without any code.  That might get you far enough to mock up your idea, and maybe even get a working prototype with minimal to very little code.  Once you have that, you could always entice a programmer to polish it up for you, if you decide programming is not for you. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=unity+game+without+coding

If this appeals to you, then start learning some c#, which is the language that you would use in Unity3D to take it further.

Good luck!

I would suggest GameMaker Studio. :) You're can start 2D, learn a bit of GML scripting if you get tired of the Drag and Drop, then look into other tools like Unity and C#, or go full blast into Unity and C#, it's free!

https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker (Free to try - but price tiers)

https://store.unity.com/ (Free for personal edition / revenue under 100k USD)

Both have market/asset stores you can take advantage of.

Programmer and 3D Artist

There are many game engines that could handle it with very little coding.

Construct, GameMaker:Studio, and Game Salad immediately jump to mind for smaller tools, Unity and Unreal can both be free but are substantially larger.

1 hour ago, Septopus said:

That is a great idea for a first time game, in all honesty. 

That motivates me ?

1 hour ago, Septopus said:

But, it all depends on how serious you are about the idea.  Are you willing to learn how to do SOME programming?  If so, try checking out some of the Unity3D videos/tutorials on how to make a game without any code.  That might get you far enough to mock up your idea, and maybe even get a working prototype with minimal to very little code.  Once you have that, you could always entice a programmer to polish it up for you, if you decide programming is not for you. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=unity+game+without+coding

If this appeals to you, then start learning some c#, which is the language that you would use in Unity3D to take it further.

Good luck!

About learn how to do some programming, yes! If I need to, i will do it. The less, the better because I don´t know anything about it but I don´t mind if I have to learn. I´m going to investigate Unity. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Rutin said:

I would suggest GameMaker Studio. :) You're can start 2D, learn a bit of GML scripting if you get tired of the Drag and Drop, then look into other tools like Unity and C#, or go full blast into Unity and C#, it's free!

https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker (Free to try - but price tiers)

https://store.unity.com/ (Free for personal edition / revenue under 100k USD)

Both have market/asset stores you can take advantage of.

GameMaker is the other option. I saw that it´s easier so maybe I can start trying GameMaker, then I´ll watch some Unity videos. Thank you!!

1 hour ago, frob said:

There are many game engines that could handle it with very little coding.

Construct, GameMaker:Studio, and Game Salad immediately jump to mind for smaller tools, Unity and Unreal can both be free but are substantially larger.

The same as above, if GameMaker is easier, I´m going to start with it, then i´m going to try Unity. Thank you too!

I would suggest GameMaker Studio too :)

Might get criticised for this but I'd suggest improving your English as well.

No matter what path you go down most books/tutorials/videos/forums will be in English so if you can work on that then your task will become a hell of a lot easier.

Also I disagree with the above poster focus on Gamemaker or Unity don't just go into Gamemaker so you can work your way up to unity.

4 hours ago, Thunderkat said:

Also I disagree with the above poster focus on Gamemaker or Unity don't just go into Gamemaker so you can work your way up to unity.

You're free to make that argument, but you didn't provide anything to state why this would be a bad path. It's always a good idea when saying something isn't "recommend" to add why it isn't recommend otherwise your point loses any value beyond "Don't do this because I don't think you should".

What is wrong with building transferable skills using one tool and then moving over to another tool? Game Maker Studio and Unity are both great options, however it's far more important to pick the tool which will continue to motivate you to grow and go forward in your journey. It's up to the OP to decide at the end of the day what motivates them more, and there is nothing wrong with trying both to see or even picking a tool not listed.

When I started I went down the "hardcore" way but it doesn't mean other people should as well. In this day and age it's amazing for how easy it is to get started in Game Development, and I'm very happy that many more people are able to get in as the entry requirements are getting smaller and smaller. The focus is really moving more to making actual games and less on working with the technology behind the tools that help you craft those games, and I'm glad for that.

Might get criticised for this but I'd suggest improving your English as well.

This is far from the truth... There are game developers from all over the world... I speak two languages English and Russian. There are people in Russia and places like Ukraine who don't speak English at all, yet they're making games. What about Asian developers that don't know English? Do you think they don't have their own communities? To think that resources are not available in a person's native language would be very naive, especially a language as popular as Spanish. If you're talking about some language that isn't popular, then yes, most likely resources are going to be limited unless someone can translate. As a final note, one's reading ability is directly linked to their passive vocabulary and will far exceed their active vocabulary. When you read books or watch videos it's your passive vocabulary at work, not active.

I also took a brief look online and there are resources in Spanish for both Game Maker Studio and Unity both written and in video format.

No matter what path you go down most books/tutorials/videos/forums will be in English so if you can work on that then your task will become a hell of a lot easier.

Quantity does not equal quality.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You are right but I never said resources weren't available in his language. He is on a English speaking forum asking for advice though so I'm assuming there may be some difficulty. I also think you took the statement a tad far... reductio ad absurdum comes to mind. 

As for the unity/gamemaker thing I believe they are both quite beginner friendly so if if his goal is to use unity then he should just start with it.  If he wanted to start with say cryengine then maybe a more newbie friendly engine would of been best for him to start with.  I agree though that no matter what one he starts with he will gain skills that are transferable. But as I said if the end-goal is unity then just start with it. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement