Showing Orthogonal Screenshots

Started by
3 comments, last by JTippetts 5 years, 5 months ago

Could some people supply their screen shots demonstrating the best orthogonal examples.  I am understanding that the depth does not change the size of the objects.  I am wondering if this is a solution for me in a 3D world I am creating.

Thanks,

Josheir

"Keeping it as easy as possible assists in the understanding for those that don't understand it."

Advertisement
On 11/3/2018 at 8:39 PM, Josheir said:

I am understanding that the depth does not change the size of the objects.  I am wondering if this is a solution for me in a 3D world I am creating.

Orthogonal viewpoints mean that when you look out on the world, the viewport remains parallel. You don't see a wider view in the distance and a narrower view nearby, like you see with a camera.  Something hidden (occluded) behind another object will not have perspective change so you can see it as it reaches one of the corners, it will remain hidden behind the object.

It is most easily seen by always having a square view of the world. Consider the old tile-based games of the SNES era; they stacked tiles and gave the feeling of depth, but as you walked around the world, walking North would pan the items down the screen, you could see the same width of the world in the distance at the top as you could near the bottom of the screen, close to you.

Even today in 3D games, some games use it. It works well in top-down games to help preserve a regular screen space.

Whether that solves your problem or not we can only speculate, since you didn't share what your problem is.

Probably not the best example, I've used a skewed orthogonal matrix to achieve a 3d effect for a Bounty Bob strikes back remake.

In 3d space all the platforms are plain boxes.

bb.png.9ca7e072f0409645c5c305c46bd00842.png

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Perspective

Similar scene in orthographic

With a top-downish view, the difference is subtle but present; the closer you get to fully top-down, the less the difference becomes, because most of the scene elements are then roughly the same distance away. Where the difference really becomes stark is switching to full side-on views:

Side perspective

Side orthographic

You can see that in the side shot, the elements recede into the background in perspective, but in orthographic even trees that are far away appear exactly the same size onscreen as trees that are nearer the camera. In a true 3D game like this, with a movable camera, the effect when in motion is quite disorienting, and even nauseating, so I'd recommend avoiding orthographic if you have a free camera. Locked into a top-down view, however, ortho is usually fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement