Can I Program small 2D and 3D game with raspberry pi?

Started by
12 comments, last by Wysardry 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi,

I want to know if I can use raspberry pi to program small 2D and 3D games.

Thank you.

Advertisement

You can do almost anything that you can do on a regular computer with them.. BUT, they are really small and don't have the processing or graphics capabilities of a normal computer, so your games would have to take that into account.

According to this they run old school games pretty well, and I think MineCraft runs on it.. So, you could write almost any kind of game, it just needs to fit and not use a lot of resources.

https://eltechs.com/gaming-on-raspberry-pi/

Thank you a lot for your response and for the link.

I want also know if i can use the last version of opengl or at least the versioin 3.0

Thanks.

http://www.raspberryconnect.com/gamessoftware/item/314-trying_out_opengl_on_raspberry_pi_3

Fyi, I'm just typing your questions into Google.. ;)

Assuming I understand your question correctly, it is not just running the game, it's running the tools for making a game, so you'd have to use something that worked well with low resources / ARM processor.

For programming you can at the most basic usually use a simple text editor if you had to, so you could probably use a compiled language (e.g. c++) and use a low level API (e.g. OpenGL, SDL etc), or try a higher level / interpreted language e.g. python, simple engines, an html 5 game (although you'd have to check performance on html5 in browser). You would have to forget about running most big 'engines' though I would imagine, both because of finding builds and them not running well on the hardware (although it seems you can run early Godot verions).

Making assets on a Pi might be another story (graphics editors etc). Although it does seem to be able to run blender(!!) on Pi (although I wouldn't recommend it):

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/77574/blender-build-for-raspberry-pi3

Having said that, I've never used a Pi, and bear in mind standard practice when developing for lower power machines / consoles is to do the actual development on a more powerful / versatile machine, then test / debug on the target. However if it is all you have available or you want to limit yourself, I'm sure you can do a lot, and you can certainly learn a lot, many older games were developed with less powerful machines.

15 minutes ago, ssssss1 said:

I want also know if i can use the last version of opengl or at least the versioin 3.0

As far as I can tell Raspberries all support OpenGL ES 2.0. I do not think there are drivers that natively support OpenGL 3.0 for their graphics chips themselves. But in case you want the functionality without worrying about performance you can always get Mesa-library which falls back to software rendering in case features are is not supported. https://www.mesa3d.org/

1 hour ago, lawnjelly said:

For programming you can usually use a simple text editor if you had to, so you could probably use a compiled language (e.g. c++) and use a low level API (e.g. OpenGL, SDL etc), or make e.g. an html 5 game (although you'd have to check performance on html5 in browser). You would have to forget about running most big 'engines' though I would imagine, both because of finding builds and them not running well on the hardware.

Making assets on a Pi might be another story (graphics editors etc). Although it does seem to be able to run blender(!!) on Pi (although I wouldn't recommend it)

Nothing prevents the programmer to develop on a normal computer and to only run the tests / debugging on raspberry. Testing and debugging could be easily done with gdb (or xgdb) while the development could be done using usual IDEs (anything the OP is used to use). Also, a virtual machine could help in there in order to ease the development (see for example this link) and debugging sessions.

Hi,

I'm sorry, I spend a lot of time answering because I'm not very good at English and I use the translation to understand correctly the information and write my answer.

You're right septopus but at the same time I ask my question on google and I post it in this forum to know if someone already has experience with raspberry pi and OpenGL and 3D :)

Yes, that's exactly what I'll use lawnjelly  SDL, C (I know just C  not C++ even though C++ is more used in the game ) and OpenGL.
blender ( i will use it to draw a simple design for the game  not for animation ) thanks for the link.
I collect informations about the 3D game to learn and practice.

Thank you Cararasu for the link.
I can also use opengl 2.0 to start and understand opengl.

I just saw your response silence after I posted my last answer 

Thank you silence

If i understood correctly your answer  you are right but I have to use the raspberry pi until I buy another high-performance PC because my laptop is damaged . I do not have a choice.

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood the response. Silence was a user name. Oops.

Remember the Raspberry Pi is not a desktop PC, you cannot ignore that it has different hardware.  The Raspberry Pi is a powerful device capable of running games designed for the hardware, including 2D and 3D games designed for the hardware. You're not on a 4GHz 64-bit x86 processor, you're on a 900 MHz 32-bit Cortex A7 processor. 

Some people have built those games. They exist. The better question is: do YOU have the time and skill to develop that kind of game for the device?  We don't have the answer to that one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement