Theraxius - HTML5 2D action game + level editor

Started by
7 comments, last by wurstbrot 5 years, 2 months ago

Hi everyone. For the last few months I’ve been working on a simple HTML5 2D side scrolling action game called Theraxius. It's nothing new and revolutionary, it's more like an evolution of different technology (combination of HTML5, PHP, MySQL). The game also includes a level editor so you can create your own levels. The game and the level editor is written almost completely in JavaScript, no download is required. Just load and play. Here are a few screenshots and the link to the page.

In the next weeks I’ll try to post some videos, try to add registration (for newsletter and later for public test).

Release date: when it's done ;)

theraxius.com

001-theraxius-gameplay-small.png

002-theraxius-gameplay-small.png

003-theraxius-level-editor-small.png

theraxius.com

Advertisement

Maybe a little detail about technology used behind the game. Like I said before, engine (all game logic and level editor) is written completely in JavaScript. Level data (stored in JSON format in the database) is exchanged thru Ajax calls. Server side is written in PHP. All images and sounds are preloaded from the server before play. The game uses HTML5 features like canvas, Fullscreen API, Pointer Lock API, Audio,… At this moment only Chrome and Firefox are supported. The game is meant to be played on PC, phones and tablets are not supported.

theraxius.com

004-theraxius-level-editor-small.png

005-theraxius-select-level-small.png

theraxius.com

Hello. Like I promised, here is first “alpha test” video. This game is still “work in progress”. I have a lot of ideas, but it takes a lot of time to implement them. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated ;)

theraxius.com

So it's been a while. First, I would like to thank you for the great response. I got good news for you: DEMO is coming soon. Meanwhile, here is a new screenshot and video (level editor). Also, don't forget to check the page! Enjoy.

theraxius.com

006-theraxius-gameplay-small.png

theraxius.com

The demo (more like a prototype) is out! Go, try it. Any thoughts, feedback?

http://theraxius.com/play

theraxius.com

Very, very nice!

I love the art style, and how you managed to make it look great with very simple graphical means.

However, the thought that you wrote it in JavaScript hurts in my brain...why don't you use TypeScript?

I mean, on the other hand, this makes it even more impressive, but I wouldn't want to put that pain on me.

I work with JavaScript for almost 10 years and I always used other frameworks and libraries (jQuery, Angular). For this project I intentionally decided to write it in pure JavaScript.

theraxius.com

I also like the sound effects, by the way. They feel very simple and "8-bitty", yet very crisp, just like the graphics. In every way, the game radiates a vibe of "let's do it very simple, but do it very solid".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement