What's is the best story game you've played?

Started by
27 comments, last by ARF Initiative 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm surprised the new God of War wasn't mentioned in this topic. God of War tells a very good story that is full of great moments of Kratos with his son Atreus. What's interesting is how it's a fantasy/mythological tale and has some grand scale, but still stays very grounded in terms of emotions and depth.

The Metal Gear series, especially MGS4, not so much 5, had amazing stories as well. 4 felt like an action movie and a game at the same time. It was definitely the strongest entry in the franchise.

Bioshock Infinite had a great plot as well that delved a lot into the notion of choice and quantum theory.  

Definitely agree with the mentions of Legend of Zelda, Halo, the Witcher, and Starcraft. 

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement

Dwarf Fortress because I created my own story there. 

13 hours ago, bug_ugly said:

Dwarf Fortress because I created my own story there. 

What kind of game is it? Sounds interesting if you can make your own story, but I guess it has to be a little bit of different than other current games. Can you tell me how it works?

13 hours ago, deltaKshatriya said:

I'm surprised the new God of War wasn't mentioned in this topic. God of War tells a very good story that is full of great moments of Kratos with his son Atreus. What's interesting is how it's a fantasy/mythological tale and has some grand scale, but still stays very grounded in terms of emotions and depth.

The Metal Gear series, especially MGS4, not so much 5, had amazing stories as well. 4 felt like an action movie and a game at the same time. It was definitely the strongest entry in the franchise.

Bioshock Infinite had a great plot as well that delved a lot into the notion of choice and quantum theory.  

Definitely agree with the mentions of Legend of Zelda, Halo, the Witcher, and Starcraft. 

Those games are amazing too, but you must admit how difficult is to select only 3 of them. BTW, love Rapture city!

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

2 hours ago, Esteban5XG said:

What kind of game is it? Sounds interesting if you can make your own story, but I guess it has to be a little bit of different than other current games. Can you tell me how it works?

Dwarf Fortress is a city builder / management sim with a ridiculous amount of detail and an equally ridiculous lack of UX design. It features a large amount of procedural generation. And as usual with such games, "you make your own story" is code for "there is no story, it's a sandbox game".

Lisa the Painful.  It's essentially just the RPG Maker engine used for the game with no additional scripts added, but the writing and world building set it apart as one of the most memorable games I've ever played.  The soundtrack and graphics are pretty good too.  There are 2 more games in the series, this is the second of the 3 but it is the best as far as story in my opinion.  It's all made by one guy which is pretty cool.

I played so many games in my life, but there only two exceptionally games which i can clearly mention and recommend here:

Life is Strange

I bought LIS as a total random buy on steam many many years ago and it was my very first game of this kind of movie-game genre. Normally i play more action adventures or hardcore jump & run games, but this game for some reason got me... I had no idea what this game was all about, as there was no hype at that time. I simply bought it, installed it and played it and was blown away by it. It was one of such games you start playing and cant stop until you finish it. Really glad that i had not to work on that week then. Really i loved everything about this game, the story, the graphics, the gameplay, even the menu and lastly that great Soundtrack.
I dont listen to slower kind of music normally, but this soundtrack man - i really loved it.

So what is this game all about? Its that kind of game where your actions and decisions may change the fate of others. Normally such decisisions cannot be reverted, but in Life in Strange you can actually revert it - at least to some extent. But doing so, comes with a a price. That price is so intense and emotional and LIS lets you feel it. So i literaly cried for hours after i finished this game. Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.

Beyond Two Souls

In 2016, i found a trailer by accident while listening to movie/game soundtracks, while lying sick in bed.
That trailer was so fascinating, as it looked similar to Life is Strange, but more darker.
So i bought it for PS4, directly on the PSN store for ~40 Euros, which is really expensive for a download-only game.
I installed it, started it and that menu... that music... i instantly liked it. After watching the intro, i knew this was the game i was waiting for all those decades.

This game is similar to Life is Strange, but is so much darker and intense -> LIS in comparisons feels like a kindergarten. In Beyond Two Souls you cannot revert your decisions. Every decision you made, change the future - whether in a bad, neutral or in a good way. The core elements of that game are horror, violence, mystery and a ton of action. Its like playing a movie, but actually changing the movie - while sitting in a roller coaster. It has an extraordinary emotional soundtrack, very good visuals with good capture of character feelings and a really good story with multiple endings.

Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.
But its not for everyone -> Some people dont like it, because it is not really a game - but rather a interactive movie.
For me its the best game i ever have played, so i bought the soundtrack and the retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends. And yes i shed a lot of tears for that game as well.

Speaking on behalf of the over 40 crowd... Star Control II.

"I wish that I could live it all again."

23 minutes ago, Kavik Kang said:

Speaking on behalf of the over 40 crowd... Star Control II.

I am 4 years away from 40 and never heard of this :D But looks very old indeed.

7 years off from 40, and absolutely loved Star Control II. :)

If you're feeling nostalgic (or want to give it a go as a first time player) there's a faithful free/open source remake called The Ur-Quan Masters. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

23 hours ago, Finalspace said:

I played so many games in my life, but there only two exceptionally games which i can clearly mention and recommend here:

Life is Strange

I bought LIS as a total random buy on steam many many years ago and it was my very first game of this kind of movie-game genre. Normally i play more action adventures or hardcore jump & run games, but this game for some reason got me... I had no idea what this game was all about, as there was no hype at that time. I simply bought it, installed it and played it and was blown away by it. It was one of such games you start playing and cant stop until you finish it. Really glad that i had not to work on that week then. Really i loved everything about this game, the story, the graphics, the gameplay, even the menu and lastly that great Soundtrack.
I dont listen to slower kind of music normally, but this soundtrack man - i really loved it.

So what is this game all about? Its that kind of game where your actions and decisions may change the fate of others. Normally such decisisions cannot be reverted, but in Life in Strange you can actually revert it - at least to some extent. But doing so, comes with a a price. That price is so intense and emotional and LIS lets you feel it. So i literaly cried for hours after i finished this game. Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.

Beyond Two Souls

In 2016, i found a trailer by accident while listening to movie/game soundtracks, while lying sick in bed.
That trailer was so fascinating, as it looked similar to Life is Strange, but more darker.
So i bought it for PS4, directly on the PSN store for ~40 Euros, which is really expensive for a download-only game.
I installed it, started it and that menu... that music... i instantly liked it. After watching the intro, i knew this was the game i was waiting for all those decades.

This game is similar to Life is Strange, but is so much darker and intense -> LIS in comparisons feels like a kindergarten. In Beyond Two Souls you cannot revert your decisions. Every decision you made, change the future - whether in a bad, neutral or in a good way. The core elements of that game are horror, violence, mystery and a ton of action. Its like playing a movie, but actually changing the movie - while sitting in a roller coaster. It has an extraordinary emotional soundtrack, very good visuals with good capture of character feelings and a really good story with multiple endings.

Of course i bought the soundtrack and the PS4 retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends.
But its not for everyone -> Some people dont like it, because it is not really a game - but rather a interactive movie.
For me its the best game i ever have played, so i bought the soundtrack and the retail version as well - for no other reason as to lend it to my friends. And yes i shed a lot of tears for that game as well.

So I guess for you the best video games comes to you by accident, and that sounds pretty awesome. I gonna see their gameplays just to know. Thanks for the comment! really interesting!

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/PPAed7Z

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement