I want to start making a League of Legends cards game and i'm looking por any ideas or advice that could help me.

Started by
3 comments, last by Jon Diego 5 years, 5 months ago

Hi everyone I’m currently learning programming and getting into the world of game developing.

I set to myself the goal of trying to make a League of legends card game in unity, I already came with a few ideas but I’m still talking with friends and researching in different places which would be the best way to proceed with this project.

I’m not really sure where is the place to post this but I’m looking for people who could help me, either by how could I put the “soul” of league into a card game if you know what league is about,how to make a card game that feels like a moba, any advice on the best way to develop a card game on unity, different mechanics that I should consider putting in the game, helping me find the right place to post this or Anything that you think could help me on this project.

I will be more than thankful with anyone with the will to help me, sorry if you find any mistakes here, not a native speaker.

Advertisement

Hi Zedr1k,

What is the scope of this project? Is it something you want to make just to learn? To show to your friends? to upload somewhere as a fan game? a long term project?

22 minutes ago, Jon Diego said:

Hi Zedr1k,

What is the scope of this project? Is it something you want to make just to learn? To show to your friends? to upload somewhere as a fan game? a long term project?

To begin I'm only looking into it as something to learn and have fun with a couple of friends, if I really like how it is in the future, probably going to take a more serious look at the game, and try to upload somewhere so if other people like the idea can have fun with it too.

Well then I'll give you my two cents about how to get your project going.

1st - Forget about coding(For Now)

One of the great things about designing a tabletop game on PC is that you can directly map a real tabletop experience. Get a bunch of pieces of paper, some dice to emulate randomnes and just design a game arround that(Write every rule down, and also write what every card does). Playtest it with friends as soon as posible, see what works and change what does not. Do this until your card game works and it is fun to play. Iterating this way is faster and cheaper than throwing away many hours of code cause you changed a base mechanic and you will be able to keep learning to program in the meanwhile.

2nd - Go back to PC and implement your game.

Be humble, a 2D representation of a card game works and it is functional . Remember, your goal here is to port your game as is from its paper version, do not worry about polish or visuals just get the game working.

3rd - Implement the net code.

Being this a card game a naive net code could sufice to have a match working. However when talking about writing/using netcode even the simplest of implementations is a challenge and will take time and testing.

4rd Stop and Think.

If this still is a side project for you I would call it done. play it with some friends our upload it somewhere. It is quite a large and difficult project as is.

If you love the card game you have created and want to make it a full fledged game then you have two options. Either talk with riot games so they either buy your game or licence you to work with the leage of legends IP(unlikely but hey your game may rock it) or drop the leage theme and create your own lore for the cards you have.

In any case by this point you would have a decent prototype to show to investors.

Please understand that nothing of this is an easy task.

Good luck with your game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement