I am looking for an advice to start with gamedevelopment

Started by
4 comments, last by Sh4nj1 5 years, 4 months ago

Hi!

I am new to this forum.. I would like to start out as an indie game developer. I have completed a few official Unity3D courses and my C# programming language knowledge is good, but I'd like to do basic 3D art too. I have some knowledge in Autodesk Maya, but I am looking for a (paid) course that'll teach me some basic stuff (like creating popular games. By that I don't mean like popular like Fortnite, more like a Subway surfers clone.). I created some smaller games before, but got the feeling I am not making anything, so I'd like to pickup a course that teaches some basic concepts including character creation, rigging, animation and texturing. Where to look for such tutorials?

Advertisement
3 hours ago, Sh4nj1 said:

Hi!

I am new to this forum.. I would like to start out as an indie game developer. I have completed a few official Unity3D courses and my C# programming language knowledge is good, but I'd like to do basic 3D art too. I have some knowledge in Autodesk Maya, but I am looking for a (paid) course that'll teach me some basic stuff (like creating popular games. By that I don't mean like popular like Fortnite, more like a Subway surfers clone.). I created some smaller games before, but got the feeling I am not making anything, so I'd like to pickup a course that teaches some basic concepts including character creation, rigging, animation and texturing. Where to look for such tutorials?

Welcome! :) 

If you're looking to grow you skill set in 3D I would suggest looking at: https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ 

You'll also have to consider workflows and such... Normally I will do the following for characters: Sculpt -> Retopologize -> Bake High to Low -> Texture -> Rig -> Animate or Rig -> Animate -> Texture

(  during the "sculpt phase" it's not uncommon to go back and forth between different packages to create clothing, armor, and other parts of the character before going into the retopologize phase )

Hard surfaces can be different but I'm also seeing a good sweep in artists using sculpting for hard surface, but it's normally cleaned up during the rebuilding phase. If I'm working on something hard surface I will usually use a 3D modeling package and not a sculpting package as personal preference. I sometimes will take that hard surface model into a sculpting state to add details for when I bake.

Rigging and animation can be done in Maya, and it's preferable to rig and animate your low poly version, not your high. This is why understanding workflow is important.

Texturing can be done in a number of applications (Photoshop, Painter, ect...)

This is one of those crafts where hands on is key and the hours put forth are extremely important. The more exposure you have, the better you'll become.

Best of luck! :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

Hi! Thanks for the resource and for the work flow description. Are there any extended tutorials to help to get the basic grip on the subject, while concurently creating some basic games? I've looked on Udemy, but got the feeling  they focus more on basic C# programming concepts (which I basically know) than on anything else, and there are no real Maya tutorials. The closest I could find about it, was the Maya LT Advanced Training: Character Modeling tutorial on Autodesks Official website.

5 hours ago, Sh4nj1 said:

Hi! Thanks for the resource and for the work flow description. Are there any extended tutorials to help to get the basic grip on the subject, while concurently creating some basic games? I've looked on Udemy, but got the feeling  they focus more on basic C# programming concepts (which I basically know) than on anything else, and there are no real Maya tutorials. The closest I could find about it, was the Maya LT Advanced Training: Character Modeling tutorial on Autodesks Official website.

Game Development in itself has many moving parts.

Your ability to create 3D assets and program are two different things. The same applies to your ability to design a game. You can simply create a level and a demo game using nothing but primitive shapes, then replace those shapes with refined 3D assets.

3D modeling is very transferable. I would focus more on finding tutorials that teach the core principles to the different forms of modeling. Then all you need to do is check the help document to see what each application does differently to produce the same result. I've worked in several 3D applications and aside from UI differences, at the basic level they all do the same. Some applications will have features over another, and some will do the same thing but in a different way. At your current level it doesn't matter if you use Maya, Max, Blender, or any other application because you need to understand the fundamentals. Once you have that down it's a matter of minutes to find out how each application allows you to apply textures and so forth.

If you want to learn game programming while doing modeling then use basic 3D objects as placeholders as you learn, and replace those models once you've created them.

From what I've personally seen, it's not common for the vast majority of lessons on how to create 3D assets to also teach you how to make games using those assets. Since these are different disciplines you need to find the separate content and merge the concepts together on your own. Find a video about making models, then another on rigging and animating, then another on how to import and use a rigged model in (x) engine, ect...

If you're looking for an all in one stop shop I doubt you'll be much if any. I find that programmers generally are not 'good' artists in the sense of creating 2D and 3D assets (aside from code being an art in itself as well as a science). These are not disciplines that go hand in hand, therefore you'll need to search them both as separate subjects as I doubt videos are teaching programming and 2D/3D asset creation that exceeds "programmer art".

Programmer and 3D Artist

On 11/16/2018 at 5:35 PM, Rutin said:

If you're looking for an all in one stop shop I doubt you'll be much if any. I find that programmers generally are not 'good' artists in the sense of creating 2D and 3D assets (aside from code being an art in itself as well as a science). These are not disciplines that go hand in hand, therefore you'll need to search them both as separate subjects as I doubt videos are teaching programming and 2D/3D asset creation that exceeds "programmer art".

Thank you for the advice. I'd like to do at least some basic modeling rigging and animation for the characters, so I won't feel emptiness in my games. Have you any specific tutorials in mind? I am using primarily Maya, because it has a free student license and I've enrolled a free course where we had some basic modeling. I've tried many times to play with Blender, but quit, because even though I was following the tutorial, somethings just were different, so I spent the majority of the time I dedicated to learn Blender, to learn it's UI not actually modeling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement