Pivot toward production in games. What about creativity, and switch to Product Management later on?

Started by
5 comments, last by AlexKutzov 5 years, 4 months ago

Hey there :)

I'm a 38 years old freelancer/project/program manager who "dreams" of working in the game industry for years.

I've got an offer in a big studio for a Production Coordinator role on a triple A game.

In 5/10 years, i would see myself being a Product Manager for a tech company, or a Game Director in a studio. So not only managing projects and teams, but also doing market research, roadmaps, features, and globally having a vision for the product/games.

Do you feel being a Prod Cord would be a good move toward this career? Knowing that i feel i already have a good "product sense", but i may be lacking in terms of execution (managing a team, leadership, and so on).

Thanks for your help :)

Advertisement

Hi welcome :)

To start, in general any foot in the door and the right maneuvering and opportunities can get you any position you want if you work for it.

I'm going to give a little more generic response, but it still applies.

A Production Coordinator is a very Program Manager kind of role. Generally these roles interface with a variety of disciplines throughout an  organization, which can be beneficial to learn how the business works. I've seen Program Manager types move into Product Manager roles in the same company (I work with one, actually!), and perhaps the most beneficial aspect of that move is that they have a lot of connections across the company from their work in Program Management to either make things happen or to know the right people to inquiry.

In the end you will get opportunities for roles when you demonstrate that you can provide value if you were in those roles. So as you learn the business, provide input, take on responsibilities outside your normal role, etc.

So to get back to answer your question:

19 minutes ago, AlexKutzov said:

Do you feel being a Prod Cord would be a good move toward this career?

Yes, I do, especially if you can see a path toward how you might be able to achieve your long-term goals.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Thanks for your answer Khawk :)

It's like if I wanted to make engines for NASA rockets and I was offered a job as a chemical fuel researcher at SpaceX. Not bad! As long as you are in the industry, you are 80% there. Waiting around or doing something else doesn't get you closer to doing what you want to do. After you get one job in the industry, getting another one later is easy. 

19 minutes ago, bug_ugly said:

After you get one job in the industry, getting another one later is easy. 

easiER, anyway.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

19 hours ago, bug_ugly said:

It's like if I wanted to make engines for NASA rockets and I was offered a job as a chemical fuel researcher at SpaceX. Not bad! As long as you are in the industry, you are 80% there. Waiting around or doing something else doesn't get you closer to doing what you want to do. After you get one job in the industry, getting another one later is easy. 

Well let's say i am dreaming of two things: working at HTC Vive or Oculus, as Product Manager, or in a big game studio as a game director/creative director (so the guy thinking of the WHAT we are building, and for WHO). Right now, i would be a production coordinator in games, so working on the HOW.

Hence why my questions about the relevance.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement