Ideal themes for my fighting game

Started by
10 comments, last by EeksGames 5 years, 4 months ago

I have three different themes. One I would create as a horror based themed, another would be a sci-fi themed and one more would be fantasy style themed fighting game. Or should I  just combine all the themes into one fighting game? Let me know which choice you guys like the most.

https://strawpoll.com/6pd8kdrx

Advertisement

I vote combine them in some meaningful way to spark something that is a little different, bigger and bolder.

I can try and see how it goes, thanks. When you say something different and bolder meaning like creating an entire new theme on it's own? 

They are all popular themes, and each allows you to be original. You should probably figure out what themes are most suitable for your ideas about gameplay, characters, levels, maybe plot, etc. For example:

• A fighting game is incompatible with common ranged weapons like bows and rifles, and depending on the setting you need different excuses to avoid them credibly: non-military situations, unpreparedness, technological anomalies like the personal shields in Dune, fair play in a tournament....
  • Horror elements might be a good match for bloody and gratuitous dismemberment, while at the other end of the gore spectrum enemies that disappear instead of dying or vanish in a puff of smoke are suitable for high-magic fantasy.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

That is all true. In fact, I think I'm going to combine all the themes and merge them into my own thing. If the gameplay, style and mechanics can all be suited well without causing any unbalance and helps me create each original character than I think I can do it.

A fantasy/sci-fi/horror fighting game sounds interesting. Are you thinking Double Dragon or Street Fighter? 2D or 3D?

Eeks Games is currently working on Other Realms, an immersive RPG experience for die hard fans.

https://www.gamedev.net/projects/1003-other-realms/

i wanted this to be 3D and more like Street Fighter.

But I may want to add a Double Dragon type mode later on.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:21 AM, LorenzoGatti said:

A fighting game is incompatible with common ranged weapons like bows and rifles, and depending on the setting you need different excuses to avoid them credibly: non-military situations, unpreparedness, technological anomalies like the personal shields in Dune, fair play in a tournament.... 

Ranged combat has been a staple of the genre pretty much from the very beginning, and fighting game characters using actual ranged weapons have been around since the mid-1990s.

8 hours ago, Anthony Serrano said:

Ranged combat has been a staple of the genre pretty much from the very beginning, and fighting game characters using actual ranged weapons have been around since the mid-1990s.

Maybe we have a misunderstanding. The "fighting games" I have in mind are scrolling platformers that qualify as "beat'em up" thanks to nontrivial attack and defense moves (Final Fight, Golden Axe, The Punisher, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs...) and more properly duel games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, wrestling and boxing ones...).

Traditionally, in both genres ranged weapons are occasionally present if appropriate for characters but not realistically powerful, and in particular very short-ranged. A pistol or SMG that (with a whole magazine) does about the same damage as a few punches, or a bullet that can be dodged like a thrown knife,  aren't realistic.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

1 hour ago, LorenzoGatti said:

Maybe we have a misunderstanding. The "fighting games" I have in mind are scrolling platformers that qualify as "beat'em up" thanks to nontrivial attack and defense moves (Final Fight, Golden Axe, The Punisher, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs...) and more properly duel games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, wrestling and boxing ones...).

No, there is no misunderstanding. The genre label "fighting game" typically refers specifically to that second group you mention, though often excluding realistic boxing/wrestling/MMA games.

Projectile attacks in this genre go back at least as far as the original Street Fighter in 1987, and in most games in the genre you can generally expect roughly half the cast to posses them. Characters with actual firearms go back to 1995's Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 if not earlier. Such weapons generally hit at full-screen range and fire projectiles that travel too fast to react to.

Pointing out that firearms generally do not do realistic damage in fighting games does not mean much, because neither do most other attacks in those games (nor do any of these attacks do realistic damage in most games), and anyway you didn't originally say the were unrealistic in fighting games, you said they were incompatible with them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement