• Advertisement
blackbeen

Actual logical code theory resources

Hi there,

I am not a good coder at all, making a game in unreal because I can understand blueprints. 

I am looking for any (basic) theory resources to do with game design & game logic, but searching 'game design' usually means 'philosophical youtube videos' (great and inspiring) or 'game logic', (language dependent), and as i'm using blueprints, a heap of c++ code or whatever isnt very helpful, although using BP i am slowly understanding the structure of code, albeit very slowly. I was never taught and it just doesnt go in as well as visual things like BP.

Any books or online resources with simple game structures?  so I can start making simple things in blueprints?  like a game design theory bible?

ideally, flow diagram style...  ?

thanks for any help - finally after years of thinking I cant do it, UED4 is actually enabling me to get somewhere

Advertisement

Never even seen BP, but the closest thing that exists in graphical style is likely the flow chart. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowchart

There is also the Nassi-Shneiderman diagram, which is equivalent, but it uses sub-sections of an area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassi–Shneiderman_diagram

Maybe UML also has a few interesting diagram types as well.

While the diagram names may give you a more concrete starting point for a search, I am not sure how much help it actually is. Typically, it's a lot more work to draw one of these diagrams compared to writing a few lines of pseudo-code. It also costs more space. I have never seen game structure being explained in diagrams but then again I have never looked for it either.

Note that FSM stands for "Finite State Machines", not "Finished State Machines".

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!