Simulate The "No Man's Sky Effect"

Started by
35 comments, last by trapazza 5 years, 3 months ago

Hey Developers!
If you already played No Man's Sky, you probally visited another planet,

but the planets are a sphere (obviously duh) but when you are entering the atmosphere of the planet, the "curved terrain" turns into a flat terrain with moutains, etc...

I'm creating a space travel system, and i want to simulate this "effect" but i don't have any idea how to do that

idk if is a camera trick, a illusion etc...

Help Me guys!

Emanuel Messias, R.d.SBrazil, São Paulo
Advertisement

Chances are, the sphere object and the flat terrain object(s) are entirely different.  Separate entities, if it looks like one "becomes" the other, that is where the trickery comes in.  Just like a good magic trick, when you aren't looking/can't see it they simply swap one for the other.  Using camera angles and cuts to obscure the change, the same way you would do it in film making.  Or they actually use spherical planets and terrain..  Dunno, haven't played it myself.  I've been building a c#(unity) game that uses a spherical planet.  You can check my earlier blog posts for some rough details on that.  I plan to add a space travel system as well but that is further down the road for me.

8 minutes ago, Septopus said:

Chances are, the sphere object and the flat terrain object(s) are entirely different.  Separate entities, if it looks like one "becomes" the other, that is where the trickery comes in.  Just like a good magic trick, when you aren't looking/can't see it they simply swap one for the other.  Using camera angles and cuts to obscure the change, the same way you would do it in film making.  Or they actually use spherical planets and terrain..  Dunno, haven't played it myself.  I've been building a c#(unity) game that uses a spherical planet.  You can check my earlier blog posts for some rough details on that.  I plan to add a space travel system as well but that is further down the road for me.

oh you again
wow, you are the most useful user on this site

I was thinking of your first theory that the spherical planet is just a trick but as my game will have the option of multiplayer then I will have to create spherical planets and somehow create a camera angle that gives the impression that it the planet has flat terrain

(I'm going to take a look at some videos of no man's sky and see if I can find any clue)

Try searching "procedural planet generation" :) .

- Jason Astle-Adams

1 minute ago, jbadams said:

Try searching "procedural planet generation" :) .

that's not what i was looking for

I was wondering how to make a spherical surface become flat by approaching it

5 minutes ago, MiniDarkOF said:

that's not what i was looking for

I was wondering how to make a spherical surface become flat by approaching it

2 ways.. I can think of.

Extreme camera settings, that would distort everything else.

Or a rather large sphere planet, and a somewhat tiny view.

I suppose I should have explained at least a little more.

The planets in No Man's Sky are procedurally generated: that is, they use an algorithm to create the same details for each player when they visit the planets.

I haven't played the game, but I expect that what you're seeing is the effects of a "LOD" or "Level Of Detail) algorithm that loads in more detail as required: there's no point in having detailed geometry everywhere when players are farther away, but as they approach the surface of the planet, additional details are loaded in.  They're probably not actually switching to a "flat" surface, but instead loading additional details on to the underlying spherical terrain as needed. Unfortunately I don't have specific references saved, or I'd provide a link - hence suggesting a search for procedural planet generation. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

23 minutes ago, Septopus said:

2 ways.. I can think of.

Extreme camera settings, that would distort everything else.

Or a rather large sphere planet, and a somewhat tiny view.

i'll try

17 minutes ago, jbadams said:

The planets in No Man's Sky are procedurally generated: that is, they use an algorithm to create the same details for each player when they visit the planets.

yep i know

17 minutes ago, jbadams said:

but I expect that what you're seeing is the effects of a "LOD" or "Level Of Detail) algorithm that loads in more detail as required: there's no point in having detailed geometry everywhere when players are farther away, but as they approach the surface of the planet, additional details are loaded in.  They're probably not actually switching to a "flat" surface, but instead loading additional details on to the underlying spherical terrain as needed

I Use LOD's for optimize my game FPS, but i don't think this is useful to create the "entering planet" effect
i think it's a camera trick

Thanks Anyway Guys

Do you have (or could you make) a video of the specific effect you're talking about?

- Jason Astle-Adams

1 minute ago, jbadams said:

Do you have (or could you make) a video of the specific effect you're talking about?

0:15 > It's a sphere-shaped planet
0:58 > Now It's a flat terrain

me: what's the magical trick to create this effect?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement