• Advertisement
MiniDarkOF

C# Simulate The "No Man's Sky Effect"

18 hours ago, 1024 said:

I think in No Man's Sky (NMS) landing is automated, so the game can guide you to a specific location/map. I wouldn't be surprised if NMS only had a small map area for each planet and that anyone who lands ends up at the same place.

No, you can land anywhere on a planet in NMS.

Advertisement
41 minutes ago, ChaosEngine said:

No, you can land anywhere on a planet in NMS.

I've heard you can walk around them too, but l also heard they aren't so big (like really planet sized). But for that game it probably makes sense. I'm guessing they are procedurally generated, but they save the changes in some sort of override database. At least that was my plan. I should probably play it just to have a point of reference.

I remember them talking about not being able to make it work seamlessly so they have two rendering modes and as you enter the atmosphere they simply crossfade/blend from one to the other. I haven't played the game, but I'm assuming it's masked by a hefty amount of blur, shake and other screenspace effects. You're going to have a framerate spike during the blend, but you can also probably get away with lowering detail.

8 minutes ago, irreversible said:

I remember them talking about not being able to make it work seamlessly so they have two rendering modes and as you enter the atmosphere they simply crossfade/blend from one to the other. I haven't played the game, but I'm assuming it's masked by a hefty amount of blur, shake and other screenspace effects. You're going to have a framerate spike during the blend, but you can also probably get away with lowering detail.

Well I think (hope) I can make it work seamlessly from my work so far.  The farther you go down, the more detail you need but at the same time, you render less area because of the horizon. Also I think modern CPUs are faster than they sometimes get credit for, especially when you can make use of your cores efficiently.

I was sure @Ysaneya managed to get a seemless transition in his Infinity MMO planetary engine.  You can see some video of an old tech demo in this journal entry if I recall correctly.  I seem to recall he talked about some of the technical details in earlier journal entries, but you'd need to look through them for yourself if you're interested.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:02 AM, irreversible said:

I remember them talking about not being able to make it work seamlessly so they have two rendering modes and as you enter the atmosphere they simply crossfade/blend from one to the other

That's how it worked initially. I think that was mentioned in one of the early E3 demos (and in videos of NMS from that era you can clearly see the transition as ships pass through the cloud layer).

It appears that by the time the game was actually released, they'd managed to get full seamless working. At any rate, I can't see a transition anymore (just the LODs popping), and they got rid of the thick cloud layer that used to surround every planet.

On 12/4/2018 at 4:37 AM, jbadams said:

I was sure @Ysaneya managed to get a seemless transition in his Infinity MMO planetary engine.  You can see some video of an old tech demo in this journal entry if I recall correctly.  I seem to recall he talked about some of the technical details in earlier journal entries, but you'd need to look through them for yourself if you're interested.

I had no idea he had lurked around here at one time.  Years ago I came across this project and had kept up on it for some time.  But then I could no longer find it and had always wondered what had happened.