Lets make a video game! - Project 16x16

Started by
6 comments, last by Stephcraft 5 years, 4 months ago

Very small description

Open source - Pixel art - 2D Platformer - video game - made using Processing !

Description

Looking for a cool project ? well here is a good one ! Project 16x16 is a 2D Platformer game made using java/processing. You are able to contribute to this project. The goal is to make a cool game in processing together, that includes You. Plus, if you are not a programmer, well this is a game so, we also need cool ideas for gameplay mechanics and story, level designers, also people who can do soundtracks/audio, and artists ! We are already using the amazing industrial tileset made by 0x72, but! Additional art can be added like UI designs, effects and epic bosses for epic boss fights ;)

Progress

I started the project on my own, and here are the things I made :

• Physics
  • Player
  • Level Editor
    •    Item inventory
    •    translation arrows
    •    Level bounding box
    •    Save/Load (JSON)
  • Playable
  • (Part) of projectiles and mirror bloc functionnality
  • (Part) of particle system

So the ‘framework’ of the game is quite advanced, but here are exemple of things that You could add:

• Entities
  • Projectiles
  • Zooming
  • Multiple layers in editor for : background, middle and front objects
  • Story
  • Gameplay
    • Object 'connection', for exemple when projectile touches glass thing, open platforms
    • Life system
    • Boss fights (Art also needed :D)
  • Level design
  • Audio and soundtrack
  • Main menu, game UI, pause Menu...

Screenshot of project at its current state

16x16.thumb.png.c8ba0f212cf0848981bf7e4836330866.png

Join the project

The project is on GitHub here github.com/Stephcraft/Project-16x16

Discord server

Join the official discord server here : https://discord.gg/zDJSCqd

Advertisement

What's the overall tone/mood of the game? Serious? Playful? I'm a hobby video game musician (hoping to break into something professional on the side one day), and I've got a lot of my work on both the forums here and on my YouTube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwSKbwTuwlJ3ytWSgbCkMyQ

I have zero experience in making audio/sound effects, but have a few soundtracks I've been making for games that don't exist. 

I may be interested in contributing if you think my stuff might be a good fit! :)

Similarly as the one above, I'd be interested with helping out with the story elements to the game. I'm a semi-professional writer and have some bits and pieces I can show you. Whilst going into the gaming industry is kind of a leap from my usual authoring techniques, I'd like to implement my world-building and other passions.

I'd be more than interested, if you'd take me on, and can provide a contact method if you wish?

Edward Tagg,

Author and Musician-guy

I've been studying audio for the past 3.5 years, and specifically game audio the past year and a half and would be super up for making some sound effects for this!

Angry Snail - "@,

On 12/6/2018 at 12:30 PM, BitsNPiecesMusic said:

What's the overall tone/mood of the game? Serious? Playful? I'm a hobby video game musician (hoping to break into something professional on the side one day), and I've got a lot of my work on both the forums here and on my YouTube channel. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwSKbwTuwlJ3ytWSgbCkMyQ

I have zero experience in making audio/sound effects, but have a few soundtracks I've been making for games that don't exist. 

I may be interested in contributing if you think my stuff might be a good fit! :)

3 hours ago, Angry Snail said:

I've been studying audio for the past 3.5 years, and specifically game audio the past year and a half and would be super up for making some sound effects for this!

You can contact me on Discord for more details on the audio style, my username is Stephcraft#9845

On 12/9/2018 at 10:45 AM, Edward Tagg said:

Similarly as the one above, I'd be interested with helping out with the story elements to the game. I'm a semi-professional writer and have some bits and pieces I can show you. Whilst going into the gaming industry is kind of a leap from my usual authoring techniques, I'd like to implement my world-building and other passions.

I'd be more than interested, if you'd take me on, and can provide a contact method if you wish?

You can also contact me on Discord, I'd be glad to work with you. Also you can write your story idea in the folder named idea of the GitHub repository in the file of your choice : .txt .md .docx etc...

1 hour ago, Stephcraft said:

You can contact me on Discord for more details on the audio style, my username is Stephcraft#9845

You can also contact me on Discord, I'd be glad to work with you. Also you can write your story idea in the folder named idea of the GitHub repository in the file of your choice : .txt .md .docx etc...

Wouldn't let me send you a request on Discord for some reason, so I'll leave mine: LetMeDoStuff#5728

I'd be happy to throw in some ideas when there's more info, but we can discuss that in Discord anyway

Edward Tagg,

Author and Musician-guy

Created a discord server dedicated to Project16x16 to better organize contributors discussions
Join using this url: https://discord.gg/zDJSCqd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement