• Advertisement
minipong

is it plausible to host your online game on your home computer/network?

Just now, Septopus said:

I'm sure a quick search on YouTube could probably get you the streamlined setup instructions for Azure as well though.  It's actually not rocket science. ;) There are just a great many options that they want your to buy along the road, and it's sometimes very hard to know what you don't need.

Yeah I did lol. This guy on youtube has a vid making a Virtual Network and it auto-filled 10.0.0.0/16 for the address space... mine didn't lol. I just typed it in and it accepted it thought so I guess it's all good.

Advertisement
19 minutes ago, Septopus said:

I'm sure a quick search on YouTube could probably get you the streamlined setup instructions for Azure as well though.  It's actually not rocket science. ;) There are just a great many options that they want you to buy along the road, and it's sometimes very hard to know what you don't need.

So I think I've set up everything I should need:
- Virtual Machine

- Virtual Network

- Virtual Network Gateway

- STATIC Public IP Address (connected to gateway I'm pretty sure)

Does that seem about right for hosting basic in-out transmission of data? I can do more with security, etc later.

Those are all this you *can* use, not things you *must* use.

A static IP address is nice, but isn't necessary with dynamic DNS services. Virtual machines and virtual networks are convenient for configurations that you want to start up, shut down, move around, and isolate from the real machine, but in no way required.

All you need is the ability of a remote machine to connect to the machine that is serving. It is extremely convenient for a DNS entry that points to mygame.com, but even that isn't a requirement. Hobby games can work just fine with manually entering an IP address that changes whenever you connect to the Internet.

If/when it becomes worth the small cost to do more, you can do it at that time.

Just so you got my recommendations clear.

If you want to host the server from your internet connection I recommended getting a static IP from your ISP.  Only because it is very convenient not having to setup dynamic dns or telling everybody the new IP every time.  If you decide instead to use a virtual server on Azure, you'll get an IP from them for that to use. 

Virtual box works to host Virtual Machines on your machine, for testing and development.  Plus it helps you figure out some of the options for something like Azure.

As @frob stated, you don't Need any of these.  You could host it on your internet connection just fine, like we discussed.  But something like a dynamic dns application or a Static IP might make it easier for everybody involved.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!