Crowdsourcing projects.

Started by
2 comments, last by Vilem Otte 5 years, 4 months ago

I an aspiring level / game designer. Would crowdsourcing be legitimate way to fund a level design? To be more precise would crowdsourcing be an appropriate funding to acquire assets to produce a level design linked to a larger game concept? I pondered the idea of obtain assets for a well designed level as proof that the large concept would be via. I struck upon the crowdsourcing as method for obtaining assets to "extend" the design of the level into the larger concept.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Are you asking about crowdsourced funding like via indiegogo or kickstarter?

Crowdsourcing is a pretty broad category, there are few types of crowdsourcing you can employ to complete many types of projects.  Funding is one, and labor is another..

You can use a crowd funding platform like indiegogo or kickstarter to attempt to fund a project, but it usually has to be something of very general appeal to a very wide audience for it to successfully raise significant funding.  Have a look at either of those two sites for examples, they have lots to browse through.

This is my experience with crowd funding anyhow.  It works, but you have to really target a wide range of people, or a very very very specific group.  Also, the project generally has to have immediate appeal and some kind of reward for the demographic you target.

Have a look at some of the crowd funding sites and look at things in the video game categories. ;)   Best way to familiarize yourself with what can be done, see what is being done.

Hope this helps.

15 minutes ago, Septopus said:

It works, but you have to really target a wide range of people, or a very very very specific group.

In case of targetting very specific group of people - you often don't reach to them through kickstarter or indiegogo campaign, but it often is by far easier to reach them directly. You may get some funding from them for your project, but the main problem I have with any kind of funding is - that you have to actually present them the project.

At which point, you generally have enough resources to finish it without additional funding and sell it.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement