I hate dialogue systems

Started by
9 comments, last by Chug Buster 5 years, 4 months ago

Dialogue systems suck. I hate them. I have been working on one for a project and it is just so frustrating! I finally got it just barely working, but it's the most hacked together bullshit dialogue system possible and I don't even really understand how it works. I'm just glad I can forget about it for a while, and work on the rest of the game.

"The bigger they are, the larger they are."

Advertisement

Check out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Façade_(video_game)

That is an unique game, in that it uses natural language processing, so player can refer to any object in the scene. Although in many cases it fails: for example when player types "watermelon", game characters treat that as reference to boobs and get insulted.

13 hours ago, NikitaSadkov said:

for example when player types "watermelon", game characters treat that as reference to boobs and get insulted.

Sounds like it works perfectly.

Putting jokes aside, do you have to have dialogue? There are games that manage to do without one or do a simple one (ex.: Baldur's Gate).

why do you dialog systems hard? I find them one of the easier  parts of RPG  making.  But,  world spreading buffs such as fire toxic gas  that's  something to complain about.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:56 PM, Chug Buster said:

Is the problem the writing or the actual programming? Just curious. I was a creative writing major at one point and people enjoy my fiction. Id be happy to help if the problem is the former.

13 hours ago, Kirk Lazarus said:

Id be happy to help if the problem is the former.

Thank you for the offer! However, that wasn't really the issue. I worked out some of the problems with the system and I'm pretty happy with it now! Just to give some more context, the dialogue system isn't really that important for the project, I just wanted to see if I could do it.

10 hours ago, Chug Buster said:

Thank you for the offer! However, that wasn't really the issue. I worked out some of the problems with the system and I'm pretty happy with it now! Just to give some more context, the dialogue system isn't really that important for the project, I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Well best of luck! Im sure if will turn out great. Im unfamiliar with scripting dialogue systems myself. Can you paste some sample code? 

Okee dokee!

///Changing dialogue

if ((mouse_check_button(mb_left)) and (distance_to_object(obj_player) < 65)) {
talking = true
global.talking = true

if a < lines - 1 and cooldown = false {
if mouse_check_button_pressed(mb_left) {
a++
}
} else {
//After dialogue. Create new object for different convo second time.
a = 0
cooldown = true
alarm[0] = 30
talking = false
global.talking = false
}
}

I had an array in a create function as well. The array had each of the lines I wanted a character to have. When you initiate a conversation with the object (in this case pressing the left mouse button while close) it would set the variable "a" to 1, and check the array in space "a." Then, it writes the text in space "a" every frame. Each time you press the left mouse button it add 1 to "a," unless it is out of spaces in the array, in which case it goes to the else part, where it sets a cool down (alarm[0]), sets talking to false, which shows whether or not that specific object is talking, and global.talking to false, which shows if any object is talking. I also did talk sprites, but for that I just had a string of if statements checking what "a" is, and changing the sprite for a separate object. It most likely isn't the best way to go about it, but it works so I'm not complaining.

Thanks for posting that? Care to tell us a little bit more about the game? What engine are you using? Unity?

I don't understand videogame programming like this so Id love to hear more. 

I'm using gamemaker studio. There really isn't much else to the project, I just wanted to figure out how to do dialogue systems so I could in the future if I really needed to for a game :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement