I'm a dentist trying to become a composer (lmao), Here is my first track, looking for feedback

Started by
7 comments, last by jkuehlin 5 years, 3 months ago

Hello, imagine yourself on your room near the fire, on a cold winter afternoon, you look through your window and see snowflakes falling on the city. You sit confortably in front of your computer and start playing your RPG and your character stumble across an undiscovered forest and this ost start playing in the background.

Advertisement

Very nice, definitely relaxing and captures the coldness as well as the serenity. I liked the use of arpeggiation a lot to bring out some variety and motion, and the register change near the end closes it out nicely. I would wander a snowy forest to this (especially if some story or lore just got hinted at recently... it has just enough tension for that kind of thing, I feel).

Edit: I also like the softness of the instruments, almost as if they themselves are dampened by snow.

Very specific feedback I APPRECIATE !!

It is kinda fun.. to critique though rather than sing praises it sounds like 3 mins of 'introduction' .. there's no really significant key changes to make it interesting or memorable as a piece of music. This might be fine though if the intention is purely scene setting in a game.

Other thing might be that for actual usefulness, not having ambient / bird song on the track might be better as the game designers can easily put that kind of stuff on, and choose the ambience that is needed in the game area. Could say the same perhaps about the long reverbs. Easy to add but not to take away. But then this stuff is easy to change in practice and re-export the track.

It definitely sets a mood! I like it quite a bit. I'd really like to see how you could create a suite of themes to match this world. Some that are less ambient, others that can take the core of the melody here and flip it around to support combat, victory, loss, etc. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Interesting feedback, first time I have an insight that sound like coming from actual game dev. (are you ?) will definetly challenge myself into trying to make a suite with combat theme etc.

Yeah, I've been working in games since 2005. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Sounds nice :)

This is my placeholder signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement