Advice on efficient building placement

Started by
2 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 5 years, 3 months ago

Hi guys

I'm working on a racing game and want a variety of buildings that make for interesting silhouettes and scenery.

At the moment I'm mostly using Unity primitives and very rough building shapes and I'm stuggling to find an efficient approach to working out what placements make best use of the buildings and create the most interested silhouettes for the player.

I've a master scene file in Blender where the track and complex beings are slowing being created and I'm placing cubes in Unity to block out a skyline but its a painfully slow process:

Place block > Press play > drive a bit > no looks weird > Press stop > re-position block > Press play > drive a bit > Think it's too small > Press stop > Re-size block > press play...

...you get the idea :)

Times that my 1,000+ and I think the sea will have swallowed us all long before I get all the buildings just in my demo level placed. Any suggestions for improving the efficiency of this process?

Here's some gameplay for context:

Advertisement
45 minutes ago, Glasshalfpool said:

Any suggestions for improving the efficiency of this process?

Procedural layout of buildings.. and / or combining several buildings into 1 object, so you have less to place, and the rendering should be more efficient (although I seem to remember there is some unity functionality for grouping statics too for rendering efficiency).

I second procedural layout of buildings, because they are merely ornamental. Adjusting and placing them one by one is unnecessary: only track geometry is important.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement