Jerking in D3D12HelloConstBuffers sample

Started by
3 comments, last by Zaoshi Kaba 5 years, 4 months ago

I'm checking out Microsoft's DirectX Graphics Samples and having some issues with D3D12HelloConstBuffers sample.

I run the sample and, as expected, there is a single triangle sliding across the screen. Problem is that triangle seems to jerk a little bit. I thought it could be synchronization issue but demo seems to be straightforward with just a single frame so that should not be the case. This does not seem to occur in Release build. Only Debug build has this issue.

Is there an issue with the sample or perhaps something else is at fault?

I have attached mp4 video recorded at 60 fps which shows the issue.

debug.mp4
Advertisement

So what you're saying is, the debug build doesn't run at 60fps, but the release build does? That just sounds like overhead in the debug build, whether it's from lack of compiler optimizations, or (more likely) STL iterator debugging.

Is the debug layer enabled in the debug build? I encountered similar issues on my code too when the debug layer is enabled with 4th gen Intel Core iGPUs (and in very rare occasions also with AMD drivers), but they usually tend to disappear when the GPU loading increase with the scene complexity. Try to run the VS profiler and have a look for some constant heavy loading pattern on the graphs

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
10 hours ago, SoldierOfLight said:

So what you're saying is, the debug build doesn't run at 60fps, but the release build does?

No. Both builds run over 60 fps. If I disable vsync triangle flies like mad.

9 hours ago, Alessio1989 said:

Is the debug layer enabled in the debug build?

You're right! I created DXGIFactory without DXGI_CREATE_FACTORY_DEBUG flag and now it's all smooth. Graphics debugger doesn't seem to work so I couldn't check what's going on. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement