How should i learn c++ in unreal engine 4

Started by
20 comments, last by Peck2703 5 years ago
4 hours ago, fleabay said:

Are you not in control of your own life???

LOL yes of course ? but i want to make a complete game so maybe blue can be limited

Advertisement

I haven't read it myself, but the second edition of Learning C++ by Building Games with Unreal Engine 4 from Packt is currently on sale in ebook format.

You might also want to look into using the SkookumScript plugin.

C++ is a big language.  Unreal is a very large engine.  Starting out as a beginner using both is certainly possible, but difficult.

Perhaps as a parallel, it would be like trying to learn the basics of being a mechanic by starting out with a Boeing 747 aircraft. It is certainly possible to learn that way, and you'll be learning from a production environment, but it won't be easy.

If you want to learn C++ --- rather than just what Unreal does --- there are many book lists, such as my own, that list books to read and the reasons for the recommendations. 

But if you want to learn the basics of programming within one of the most complex pieces of publicly-usable software, that's your choice too.

1 hour ago, frob said:

C++ is a big language.  Unreal is a very large engine.  Starting out as a beginner using both is certainly possible, but difficult.

Perhaps as a parallel, it would be like trying to learn the basics of being a mechanic by starting out with a Boeing 747 aircraft. It is certainly possible to learn that way, and you'll be learning from a production environment, but it won't be easy.

If you want to learn C++ --- rather than just what Unreal does --- there are many book lists, such as my own, that list books to read and the reasons for the recommendations. 

But if you want to learn the basics of programming within one of the most complex pieces of publicly-usable software, that's your choice too.

ok thank you for your answer maybe ill start first with c language so i can become familiar with coding basics  but after i become good using unreal engine then ill see

1 hour ago, nizaryos said:

ill start first with c language so i can become familiar with coding basics

Don't, unless that was a typo.

The C language and the C++ language diverged several decades ago, either in the 1980s or 1990s depending on who you talk with. 

If you want to learn C++, learn C++.  If you want to learn C, learn C.  Don't learn C as an attempt to simplify the learning curve to C++. The end result will be learning two different languages, each with rather different programming idioms.  You'll be a better programmer for knowing how multiple languages do things, but you'll not be simplifying your learning curve in the process.

22 minutes ago, frob said:

Don't, unless that was a typo.

The C language and the C++ language diverged several decades ago, either in the 1980s or 1990s depending on who you talk with. 

If you want to learn C++, learn C++.  If you want to learn C, learn C.  Don't learn C as an attempt to simplify the learning curve to C++. The end result will be learning two different languages, each with rather different programming idioms.  You'll be a better programmer for knowing how multiple languages do things, but you'll not be simplifying your learning curve in the process.

well thats a bit confusing since others suggested to learn a simpler language first for now i keep learning unreal engine and after a few months ill see what i can do for coding  thanks for your asnwer

Nizaryos, we shall not confuse you any further.

Whether you choose to learn C first, or go straight for C++, just be patient and dedicated. The important thing is to at least roll up your sleeves and start programming.

By all means use an IDE while learning, but I do recommend making an effort to practice command line compiling on the side.

Best of luck.

Steve.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

8 hours ago, nizaryos said:

well thats a bit confusing since others suggested to learn a simpler language first for now i keep learning unreal engine and after a few months ill see what i can do for coding  thanks for your asnwer

C is not a significantly easier language. In many respects it is harder; c++ assumes the programmer knows what they are doing with few protections against error, C makes a similar assumption, but has even fewer protections against programmer mistakes.

I think by "easier language", they meant something like Python or JavaScript. They have a shallower learning curve, and it is extremely difficult to do harm with them due to programmer error.

My suggestion is to learn to program 100% without the use of Unreal. I never would recommend someone learn C++ using Unreal. It would be better to learn C++ with a good book like C++ Primer (5th Edition), along side some reference material. Use Visual Studio and code console applications as you work through the book. My advice is to take the concepts you learn, and apply them to your own custom applications to better understand what you're learning. I did this a lot back then, I made my own text games using the concepts I learned and it kept me movitated as opposed to making those boring office style applications. Then I would suggest slowly integrating into Unreal with C++.

https://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Stanley-B-Lippman/dp/0321714113

Some people will recommend you learn C before C++, I'm not one of them... I've been using C++ for almost two decades now. When I was starting out people were also suggesting to learn C before C++ as a "requirement", however I completely ignored their advice, and it turned out fine. I know some C by default, just because of the work I do, but it is by no means a "requirement".

Considering you have no programming background, you might want to consider C# and Unity and maybe come back into C++ and Unreal once you have general programming knowledge and experience.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I only have a couple years of programming experience, so I can't give you the decades worth of experience in the comments above.
What I can share though is that I'm currently programming my game with Unity and C#.
Whichever way your gonna look at it, learning a programming language is going to take years, and if you want the easiest slice of pie to swallow it would probably be Unity with C#
C++ is like going for the jugular when you want to program something, and I honestly don't think there is a game you would want to make that would need the time that C++ and Unreal would require.
It is very possible though, so good luck! :)

Btw, if you wanna learn to Program, Microsoft has a complete course on C# completely free

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-16169.

Thanks to @Anri for catching that Unity doesn't support Javascript anymore. I wasn't aware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement