• Advertisement
_WeirdCat_

C++ Good C++ ide with debugger on Linux?

Are there any? I need to use opengl and sdl2. Debugger is a must.

I just want to put a breakpoint in the code and execute it line by line

Advertisement

I personally have had great success with QT Creator (far better than visual studio on windows for my purposes). Although obviously designed with QT in mind, it is fantastic as a general c++ IDE, just create a generic c++ cmake app in the wizard.

Astonishes me nobody mentioned KDevelop. Acts as frontend to GDB as debugger so you get all the power GDB has. Have been using  it for all my projects so far.

19 hours ago, Bregma said:

Have you tried Microsoft Visual Studio Code?  I find it less of a massive waste of all available resources than most IDEs.  It's well supported, and integrates with GDB and/or LLDB.

Please DON'T suggest MVSC for C/C++ ! It works well for C# but for C/C++ it is horribly broken. Half the time IntelliSense stops working leaving you with nothing but a fancy bloated text editor. You need to reload files and projects endlessly until it starts working again. Know this from own painful experience.

Edited by RPTD

5 hours ago, _WeirdCat_ said:

Tried KDevelop but unfortunatetly i couldnt make anything to compile, now using netbeans but miss some features from KDevelop...

What exactly has been the problem? Just curious to know.

Eclipse CDT is probably the most used in a Linux environment. Since there is a large user community, it's quite easy to find answers.

It lacks the class browser that Windows IDEs for C++ usually offer (unless there is a new plugin for that), but if you can get use to it it's quite powerful. With a good folder structure for your sources, the class browser becomes almost redundant. The indexer is very good and if you can get used with navigating the code using symbols you can become very efficient (F3, F4 and Ctrl+Tab are your best friends :)).\

It has tons of plugins (version control, unit testing, etc.) and a decent debugger integration.

If you come from Visual Studio, it does take a while to get use to it.

+1 for Qt Creator. It's my second favorite IDE/Debugger after Visual Studio.

It's cross platform. Though it's originated with Qt, it can be used with non-Qt project.