• Advertisement
_WeirdCat_

C++ Good C++ ide with debugger on Linux?

Warning - subjective answer!

Visual Studio is addictive and pretty much unbeatable once you get used to it. Sadly it's not available for Linux, I'd recommend going with Visual Studio Code (although solid text editor like Sublime Text may be enough) - athough they're a bit more simple compared to next few.

Which I didn't like that much ... few notable I've met throughout my career (all are usable): QtCreator, KDevelop, Code::Blocks, NetBeans, Geany that much - while they are not bad, Visual Studio beats all of them in my opinion - and I also went down the 'masochist way' (although I don't expect others to be masochists voluntarily and run vim/emacs, write their own makefiles and debug just with terminal gdb ... it is a way though, and quite comfortable one), which I enjoyed a LOT.

I'd recommend - try few of them - if you are comfortable using any of them, go ahead. I also recommend trying VSCode and Sublime Text - they might fit you.

Tl;dr - Use any tools that you're comfortable with (go ahead and try them, to find the one that fits you most).

Advertisement

What exactly has been the problem? Just curious to know.

Cant set up compilation, i ser the compile configuration, create a project open a cpp file and try to build / launch it- it doesnt produce anything i just get error that theres no executable to run

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, _WeirdCat_ said:

Cant set up compilation, i ser the compile configuration, create a project open a cpp file and try to build / launch it- it doesnt produce anything i just get error that theres no executable to run

It depends what build system you use, and therefore what build management system you choose for your project. Now I don't know what build system you are using but I'm using SCons with the "Makefile" based build system (needs only 2 parameters to be set and SCons rules over CMake anyday).

If it's Make/CMake based it should not be too difficult. I quickly tested it:
1) Create new project
2) "Run" -> "Configure Launches"
3) Select project and click "Add" -> "Compiled Binary"
4) Select under "Project target" the build target to use (for example NewProject/newproject) or select the binary location itself
5) Set "Action" to "Build" and using the button right next to it add your project.
6) "Run" -> "Current Launch Configuration": choose the one to use. It's not automatically selected when creating new ones.

I hit then Execute and it build and execute. Does this work for you? Otherwise there might be something broken with the installation.

Now step 5 is the one which might have bitten you. That's really something KDevelop needs to change (adding these fields automatically when creating new launches).
(NOTE: You can skip step 5 but then you need to always "Build" then "Execute" which is something people tend to forget so setting this action properly helps).

Edited by RPTD

On 12/31/2018 at 9:02 AM, _WeirdCat_ said:

Tried KDevelop but unfortunatetly i couldnt make anything to compile, now using netbeans but miss some features from KDevelop...

Kdevelop should work nicely, both on Linux and Windows. It has a look and feel like Visual Studio. You can create projects from automake, cmake, source versions (svn, git...). You have different build targets, different run targets. You can debug within it. You can choose your compiler (gcc, clang, Microsoft...), your debugger... It has integrated tools for checking the code. And also has modes when you edit scripts (many file formats are supported including GLSL). If you have an existing project just import it from its root directory. After you'll have to configure how to build in the project configuration.

QtCreator is also a good IDE. At the time I was using it I was facing some issues with code completion. Also I did not like the interface, mainly about how to selecting which file to edit.

Other IDEs are more light and tricky to use. Maybe codeblocks is more advanced now.

If you prefer something quite simple but effective, Geany is a very good 'editor-builder-runner'.

Posted (edited)

We changed from KDevelop to Visual Studio Code six months ago and i must say i'm rather pleased. It has pretty much all the important features of Visual Studio and it works on multiple platforms. It can also be used for almost all languages provided you install the proper plugins. We have tried Eclipse with CDT a year or so ago, but it was horrible in terms of resources consumption, speed and features. KDevelop is also very good.

Edited by Laval B