Any tips for Better Writing?

Started by
13 comments, last by MessiasOF 3 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys, i just know the basic about writing, and i already writted my game concept and story sketch
but in my opinion: it's horrible

- The Concept is Cool
- The Plot-Twitst is Amazing
- The Endings are Nice
but the history is... horrible, i need some tips for writting my game.

- Thanks!

Emanuel Messias, R.d.SBrazil, São Paulo
Advertisement

Just like on stack overflow, if you want help you need to be more specific!

What don't you like about your game's history?

If you would like you could send it to me to take a look, and I could even recommend you some books to read on the topic of fiction writing.

You should probably just get on with living your dreams ay, people have been saying that the world is gonna end for a while now - Jim's Inner Self

I'm not sure what you mean by History.  If you mean the History of the world, items, and characters I know a trick.

When you're designing levels, areas, items, and characters remember that they all have history.

Instead of having "A town"; flesh out the history of that town.  Maybe the town was founded by a group of people looking for religious freedom.  The townsfolk discovered a silver vein so they opened a mine.  This allowed the town to flourish.  Tragically a nearby river broke it's banks and flooded the mine, killing the miners.  The town has been fading ever since and there are rumors that the ghosts of miners still haunt the flooded mines.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:37 AM, MiniDarkOF said:

Hey guys, i just know the basic about writing, and i already writted my game concept and story sketch

- The Concept is Cool
- The Endings are Nice

- Thanks!

I recommend reading about history not because its history that you're trying to write, but because history has many great stories. And guess what, they're all true! It's better than picking up a book and taking story ideas from the author because your ideas are unplagued by the authors imagination, which can suffer from things like sounding like a trope, being unplausible, or just any negative subjective nature really.

I'm not saying to not use other authors as a helping stone. You can learn a lot I'm sure from other author's writing styles. I just suggest that maybe you should get ideas from history, as reality can prove to be an excellent source for creativity.

On 1/2/2019 at 7:37 AM, MiniDarkOF said:

- The Concept is Cool
- The Endings are Nice

- Thanks!

Rule #1...
Writers write everyday. Every single day. Even if it is only a sentence or two.

Rule #2
You should always have an "open feeling" about your story line.
What I mean, never be completely feel "happy about it", It should always be "could be better".
By going back and back to it. over and over again, you will start to see things you missed, or what could be better.

Rule #3. Don't through away those old ideas. Keep a folder, or file of the stuff you didn't use this time. Save for another time.. these are important.. Honest.

Scott M

really thanks guys!

Emanuel Messias, R.d.SBrazil, São Paulo

All history is horrible when its just "made up". Instead write a cool story and then try to learn from your cool story about your own world and its history.

In general don't include any history in your story which does not add to the story. Less is more. definitely don't have any lengthy forced exposition which the player must listen to. Take for example Dishonored 1. There is a whole world out there with gods and stuff. I as the player don't really care I just want to kill stuff and do stealth missions. However, in the back of my head there is always a feeling that there is more to the world than this little corner and that makes it cool. But it isn't forced on me.

Well, History basically was taught to us all wrong. Just read "Lies my teacher told me" You will see what I mean.
I am not saying everything in this book is the truth, but it makes a lot more sense than the stuff they force fed us in school. The truly best stories are developed in your heart and soul. (listening to Chelsa Wolfe) while writing also helps.

Scott M

My job is relating to writing. And I always read a lot of information which are correlating to my theme before writing.

My English isn't so good for a particular moment, but I'm trying to improve it with forumes ? The more you write, the more improvements you get. It' my motto?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement