One more question, it's for my main hero character

Started by
25 comments, last by Septopus 5 years, 3 months ago
9 hours ago, RevanT1 said:

Is it okay I give the monk hero big muscles or will that upset players? 

I'd be more upset if a warrior monk lacked strength and fitness. You can save the cliché of the old, frail or disabled martial arts master with transcendent powers (e.g. Oogway from Kung Fu Panda, Toki from Hokuto no Ken) for some other character.

However, there are big muscles and big muscles. For example:

• only "big" relative to a common person, as can be expected from an athlete (like, presumably, your monk)
  • a harmless exaggeration, like in the way many One Piece characters are drawn (appropriate or not depending on the general style of your character design and art)
  • the result of an imbalanced and impractical body building training (probably inappropriate)

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Advertisement

Hmmm..so would something like this would be impractical then?  image.thumb.png.8c0ac74a6307f1382e5852e182541c53.png

I'm sorry, hope my comment didn't sound rude :( that example I showed was to see if those muscles are to big for the monk or if it's ok. Or is a physique like Ace from One Piece a better body type? 

That's a pretty tough lookin monk.. :D 

hahaha, you're going to over-analyze yourself into not making anything at all if you keep this up. ;)

Most of these questions are so subjective that you will get a different answer from every person you ask.  No matter what you do, somebody somewhere can and probably will take offense to it.  Luckily, 99.999% of those people probably wouldn't be interested in playing a fighting game to begin with. 

Remember your audience.  If you are making a game with fighting and violence, the players aren't usually too easily offended.  Now, if things don't look right(as in they are just badly done) then that's another story. 

On 1/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, RevanT1 said:

Is it okay I give the monk hero big muscles or will that upset players? 

I'm not gonna lie, I rolled my eyes a bit here... You're way too concerned about offending people. If that's the case then I would suggest you stay away from creative media.

You do realize fighting games have half naked females and little to no clothing, over sized men with massive muscles, people of all races and genders, and nobody who plays fighting games cares...

This is your game, take charge for once and stop worrying about every little thing. If you try to please everyone you'll ultimately fail. Learn your target audience and who plays fighting games and you'll find that you're overthinking your entire design process.

Programmer and 3D Artist

@Septopus I get what you're saying, as long as it's fitting for what it is it should be fine then? I know I show great concern about this only because I had someone tell me that making him that big would be a letdown because they said it would be impossible for a character with that size for example to be able to fight or move fluently but this is a fictional fighting game we're talking about right? Btw yeah that muscle mass inspiration for him would be for a very tough monk :D

@Rutin I know I need to stop worrying what everyone thinks and just make it how I had planned :( yes I've seen certain games where they have half naked females and even multiple stereotypes and no one seems to care, but then there was this game I saw before where the protagonist or hero of the game had huge muscles and many got so mad over it? I think one of them was Street Fighter, they got mad over Ryu's muscles being very big?

Yup, people get upset and mad and have all kinds of emotions.. lol.  Nothing to do about it.  Let them tantrum.  If it's a legit gripe it'll be obvious.

Just don't worry about it, go and make your game and roll with the punches. You're going to learn very quickly that people look to complain about everything and anything. Yes, there are "trolls" that will pick apart your media all in the name of "social justice", and the sooner you realize you have zero control the better you'll be. The worst thing you can do as a game developer is to attempt to please everyone because what will happen is you'll tangle up every aspect of your game and nobody will be happy.

Make the game you've envisioned, and once you've released it pay attention to your target customers legitimate feedback. I would completely ignore any complaints that are clearly there to cause controversy.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You mean like someones race or ethnicity right? I actually had that problem with the Native American female MMA idea. Someone explained to me that it could be very offensive and they took it offensive as to why I chose Native American as the race. Even if my response was for diversity but also because I like the culture and find it fitting for her character maybe to explain her heritage as to how she inherited certain powers from family ancestry and that she would represent as an MMA themed fighter NOT as a stereotypical Native American and show indication she would wear a family crescent Native bead around her neck or have some tattoo on her that is based on her cultures heritage. He told me none of that would help give me any leeway and it still can be seen offensive. He explained that I need to understand the culture and speak with those who are from Native organizations first or it will seem inappropriate. His main grip was that why would I need to choose Native American when there are very few around and small minority of tribes that still exist was what he told me and that I'm making it harder on myself. he said that it's more stereotypical that I would choose a Native American background for a character as if there are no better options to choose from and that it seems kinda forced to be picking such a minority background for a character that is more obsolete compared to what is mostly seen in the States today.

Does he make a good point? Or should I say the *** with it and do my best for this characters background of Native descent? 

@Rutin yes you make some very good and logical points, wish it was that easy but maybe I'm overthinking this a bit :)

11 minutes ago, RevanT1 said:

maybe I'm overthinking this a bit

You are absolutely rabid.  hahaha..  Make your game already, wait 'til you have something to criticize before you worry about the critics. 

This right here is called analysis-paralysis and it never goes anywhere fruitful. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement