Software to create this effects...

Started by
4 comments, last by Rutin 5 years, 3 months ago

So the only way for me to add visual effects to my game is through making the effect in a third-party software, exporting it as a PNG sequence and then pasting it into the engine I am working in right now. The effects I want to learn how to create  are similar to these: one, two, three and four. I know that you can (somehow) make them in After Effects but it is too expensive for me. So I want a similar software but a little cheaper. The problem is that I don't even know where to find it. If I google for "After Effects alternatives" I will only get software that is focused to create film effects. If I google "best vfx software for games" I will get Blender and 3d Max which is not appropriate (probably) for cartoon-ish style vfxs that I want. So:

• How can I find software for making visual effects like splashes, explosions, flashes for games?
  • Are Blender / 3d Max really appropriate here?
  • How these effects are called properly? Visual effects or particle effects or animation?
Advertisement
2 hours ago, Perto Koval said:
  • How can I find software for making visual effects like splashes, explosions, flashes for games?
  • Are Blender / 3d Max really appropriate here?
  • How these effects are called properly? Visual effects or particle effects or animation?

You can use Blender for both slashes and explosions. The explosions can be done through particle effects. I've personally done both through Blender, and Adobes software in the past.

Once you have your final animation done, you would create a batch that exports all frames as transparent png files. Some game engines will allow you to generate your own particle effects, but that depends on the engine itself, otherwise you'll have to use 3rd party tools.

I just made a quick search for some potentially good videos:

Understand the concepts on what is actually going on so you can adapt to your own style of work later on. Visuals can be altered by playing with different shader settings, and nodes.

Good luck!

Programmer and 3D Artist

There are a lot of YT on Blender, check them out.

2 hours ago, Kippiis said:

There are a lot of YT on Blender, check them out.

Can you tell me please what does "YT" mean? :)

25 minutes ago, Perto Koval said:

Can you tell me please what does "YT" mean? :)

YouTube.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement