Question about Steam Cloud synchronization ehavior

Started by
2 comments, last by MikeJB 5 years, 3 months ago

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if there’s a way to manipulate what files a given game synchronizes with the Steam cloud without access to the source code?  The reason I ask is that it is apparently a known issue that save data for Final Fantasy V doesn’t get synced for some reason. I was wondering if there’s a way to brute force it? I didn’t find any non-binary files or registry entries that dictate what a given game synchronizes.

Advertisement

No, the files to sync are either configured in the "partner.steamgames" site, or in the game's code.

If you want to sync files yourself, you can always use something like dropbox :)

Thanks Hodgman!  I figured as much, but thought I’d ask anyway.

Yeah, I could definitely sync my save file by another means, but if this was an easy fix via a registry hack or something, it would’ve been worth pursuing.

Believe it or not, the game does sync the configuration file (which may or may not be a good thing depending on each machine you’d want to play on). Why they didn’t also sync the 3KB save file boggles my mind!  This is a $16 product which you can play perfectly on an emulator for free if you’re so inclined. You’d think they’d want to provide you every convenience possible... oh well ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement