• Advertisement
DividedByZero

DX11 Texture repeat question

Hi Guys,

I have a simple quad that I am using as a basic ground plane. I am using a texture that is located at 0.75, 0.75 to 1.0, 1.0 on a texture map.

Just wondering, is it possible to repeat that portion of texture on the quad, say 10 times?

The methods I have tried expect that the texture is using the full texture map (i.e. I get unwanted sections of other textures), but I only want to repeat a section, as I have multiple textures on the texture map.

Or do I have to increase the number of quads in the ground plane in this type of scenario?

Any ideas would be awesome.

Thanks in advance :)

Advertisement

Hi,

I think you'd have to find a way to modify your domain range specified by ADDRESS_MODE_WRAP which wraps at interger junctions which I bet is not doable AFAIK.

I think the best approach is to introdude 10 quads, each quad's vertex texture coords would have to address the same portion of the texture in UV coordinates. 🙂

Edited by John321

Thanks John, I suspected this might be the case.

Thought I'd throw it out there though, just in case there was a simple way I wasn't aware of.

Writing a routine to up the quads isn't a big problem. 

Thanks again. 😊

To get repeating texture specify > 1.0 for UV coords. You can put a 10x10 texture grid on a 1x1 plane by using 10.0 for both U and V.

14 minutes ago, fleabay said:

To get repeating texture specify > 1.0 for UV coords. You can put a 10x10 texture grid on a 1x1 plane by using 10.0 for both U and V.

Doesn't work in this type of case as I am not using the entire texture map for the section of texture I wan't to repeat.

As I mentioned in the original post, the section of the map I wan't to repeat is at 0.75, 0.75 to 1.0, 1.0.

Using 10.0 for U & V will repeat the entire texture page.

14 minutes ago, DividedByZero said:

Using 10.0 for U & V will repeat the entire texture page.

The UV's I'm referring to are the vertex attributes on the plane. Also I think using 10.0 on the texture would zoom 10x.

8 minutes ago, fleabay said:

The UV's I'm referring to are the vertex attributes on the plane.

Now you have lost me.

8 minutes ago, fleabay said:

Also I think using 10.0 on the texture would zoom 10x.

I have found it normally repeats 10x.

Zooming in 10x doesn't make sense to me. If you zoom in, 10x then you'd only see a tenth of the texture. Same as if your UV's were 0 to 0.1.

1 minute ago, fleabay said:

Your geometry contains UV coords, right?

Correct.

Don't want to come across as rude, but for the third time, the UV co-ords are mapped around 0.75, 0.75 to 1.0, 1.0.

4 minutes ago, fleabay said:

Your geometry contains UV coords, right?

You definitely missed what author are trying to achieve. 

Edited by _Engine_