Need help with gas and liquid, physics for a game

Started by
3 comments, last by DevBlazer 5 years, 3 months ago

Hi all, I am currently playing around with making a 2D underwater survival game (pet project, not too serious) but I need someone I can sit with for like an hour or so, to help me flesh out some reasonable mechanics for the behavior of liquids and gases in relation to gravity, pressure, etc. (Sorry guys I totally failed science class and have no intention of studying it now).  There obviously has to be a balance between what I'm willing to code for and realism and then assistance with understanding some mechanics and how their formulas, etc would work.

Again, I'm not trying to recruit anyone here, just looking for someone knowledgeable to have a friendly chat with for a little while.

Advertisement

I bet if you posted this as a question in the math and physics forum, mentioned the language/engine, you would end up with all the answers you need in no time. ;)  These cats are smart.  Plus I think it's a relatively easy effect to fake from my miscellaneous readings here and there..  You can begin to simulate buoyancy by simply adding an upwards force to the object to negate the effect of gravity, if you make the force proportional to the mass or "composition" of the object then you can make it more realistic.  It might be helpful to lock or to selective lock the rotation of one or multiple axes if you aren't interested in doing a FULL physics simulation to control the object rotation and etc...  But I assume those would be under player control somewhat anyhow.  Another method might be to not use gravity at all and do it like a space simulation, only you would dampen the movement to represent the fluid friction and/or add forces to represent current flow.  Good Luck!

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/7-math-and-physics/

Maybe I can help you. Ofcourse I can be caught on some questions but I used to be a thermal analyst (mechanical engineering)  for about 9-10 years on projects from telco, automotive lighting, commercial aerospace and non military D&S (sounds like oxymoron but D&S is the name of branch). 

2 hours ago, Osidlus said:

Maybe I can help you. Ofcourse I can be caught on some questions but I used to be a thermal analyst (mechanical engineering)  for about 9-10 years on projects from telco, automotive lighting, commercial aerospace and non military D&S (sounds like oxymoron but D&S is the name of branch). 

cool tx, I pm'ed

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement