• Advertisement
DaTueOwner

Anyone who wants to write a little game engine?

Hello guys,

It was always my dream to create a little game engine (or rather a graphics engine) for fun. I know it's a huge load of work, but that's the challenge.  
It would be great, if anyone wants to join me in this quest. Programming language doesn't really matter (except for python and javascript.), I prefer C++.

I am currently finishing my bachelors degree and have done graphics stuff in the past.

Advertisement

There are fewer and fewer programmer wanting to go this way. If this is your first shot, I suggest you to start and move on alone. You will learn a lot, discover things and so on. Once you will realize what mistakes you've done then come back to the community and ask to make a team, telling your strengths, what you did well, your unknowns, which part of the engine you can do, and so on.

17 hours ago, DaTueOwner said:

and have done graphics stuff in the past.

But grapics stuff is a smallest subsystem of gaming engine.It make for engine same part of work that cout for console application.

Hardest parts is collision prediction, physic simulation and AI. Also very complexive parts is a custom containers and smartpointers that much better fit needs of engine than stl, and main of complexities for c++, that have to be solved prior start making actual engine, is a custom c++ parser, intended to generate full set of RTTI, that required for automatic serialization/deserialization of objects trees and automatic generation of UI for visual editing.

am currently finishing my bachelors degree

It really perfect. I guess you need a couple years to get in background required for actual creation of full featured engine (i mean something more complexive than engine for esingle-player tunnel walker or primitve space shooter with spheric only colliders that can be done in 1-2 weeks), but now you have a fundamental basis required to do it. And you can do it parallely with preparation of helper components.

It would be great, if anyone wants to join me in this quest.

Welcome to discuss any algo that yo need to discuss. And may be later we can make some hobby cowork together. Really i currently not making a components of engine just becouse not finished yet a RTTI generator, required to loading complexive scenes and models and automatic network protocol generation, and some other preparation work like in-scene UI framework and so on.

Only requirment - no pyton,js or something else that have outdated GC and and memory managment model that not acceptable for realtime software. Native modern  programing languages with modern memory and resource managment abilities only. Really i could not se anythin but C++ that fit it requitments.

Okay yeah I know about the other part of the engine. But I am rather interested in building a graphics engine. Everything else can be third party ;)

13 minutes ago, _Silence_ said:

There are fewer and fewer programmer wanting to go this way. If this is your first shot, I suggest you to start and move on alone. You will learn a lot, discover things and so on. Once you will realize what mistakes you've done then come back to the community and ask to make a team, telling your strengths, what you did well, your unknowns, which part of the engine you can do, and so on.

Yup, I know. Maybe you are right and I should start alone first. I just thought that maybe someone else would join me.

15 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

But grapics stuff is a smallest subsystem of gaming engine.It make for engine same part of work that cout for console application.

Hardest parts is collision prediction, physic simulation and AI. Also very complexive parts is a custom containers and smartpointers that much better fit needs of engine than stl, and main of complexities for c++, that have to be solved prior start making actual engine, is a custom c++ parser, intended to generate full set of RTTI, that required for automatic serialization/deserialization of objects trees and automatic generation of UI for visual editing.

It really perfect. I guess you need a couple years to get in background required for actual creation of full featured engine (i mean something more complexive than engine for esingle-player tunnel walker or primitve space shooter with spheric only colliders that can be done in 1-2 weeks), but now you have a fundamental basis required to do it. And you can do it parallely with preparation of helper components.

Welcome to discuss any algo that yo need to discuss. And may be later we can make some hobby cowork together. Really i currently not making a components of engine just becouse not finished yet a RTTI generator, required to loading complexive scenes and models and automatic network protocol generation, and some other preparation work like in-scene UI framework and so on.

Only requirment - no pyton,js or something else that have outdated GC and and memory managment model that not acceptable for realtime software. Native modern  programing languages with modern memory and resource managment abilities only. Really i could not se anythin but C++ that fit it requitments.

I only got half of your response, but I guess you are correct that anything more complex requires a huge amount of work and dedication. But that's alright, I am not trying to compete with other software build by hundreds of professionals. It will be a small engine that can be used for demoing purposes and minor games. Anything else is just unrealistic ;D 

6 minutes ago, DaTueOwner said:

Yup, I know. Maybe you are right and I should start alone first. I just thought that maybe someone else would join me.

Why I did told you to start alone was in order you to gain some experience. Nothing replaces experience. If you don't have any or few, then you'll feel lost in a team. You will not loose time by learning alone. Knowing some graphics things is one thing, which is important right, but knowing how to make things go round is something else. There are many good advice here, that's true, but if this is just to do what other are telling you to do, you'll miss important things.

That's just my two cents, and I'm not a professional game programmer, you have to know it.

30 minutes ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

This is globally wrong. Among all other things you wrote (and I'm not one who gave you a downvote). In my own engine, graphics is the biggest part, far from any other things. In all companies I was working, graphics part had also an important part. If your graphics part is very small compared to other things, you did not give enough importance to it.

9 minutes ago, DaTueOwner said:

It will be a small engine that can be used for demoing purposes and minor games. 

Small games require a same set of engine componets as huge games. Only difference betwin small demo and huge AAA game is size of world and quantity of objects and  models contained by modeled world. But it simulate same processes and use same algos to render results of simulation.

15 minutes ago, DaTueOwner said:

Anything else is just unrealistic ;D 

Really most of it much easier than looks on first view. It just require some time to study some related fields like analitic mechanics and advanced analytic geometry and so on, to understand how it really works. And hardest part of it is to obtain mathematical basis required to understand diffirential equations and build schemes of it integration and so on , that you already studied in university.

54 minutes ago, _Silence_ said:

In all companies I was working, graphics part had also an important part

Nobody says that it not important part. But it really not so complexive as most of other parts, that works to drive a quality realistic animation  ,simulate behavior of enemies and so on. And also phisical optics and computationl geometry, that is background of rendering, have no blanks or factors that very hard to obtain, unlike for example theory of impact, ballistic, and many other theories that is background of simulation.

54 minutes ago, _Silence_ said:

If your graphics part is very small compared to other things, you did not give enough importance to it.

It depends on where to  make i line betwin graphics and anything other. For example for particles, only rendering of it related to graphics stuff. Anything else like caluclation of it trajectory and so on related to phisics and other simulation, unlike most of people call anything of it "graphics effects". 

Edited by Fulcrum.013

3 hours ago, DaTueOwner said:

Also very complexive parts is a custom containers and smartpointers that much better fit needs of engine than stl, and main of complexities for c++, that have to be solved prior start making actual engine, is a custom c++ parser, intended to generate full set of RTTI, that required for automatic serialization/deserialization of objects trees and automatic generation of UI for visual editing

- Why would I want custom containers and smartpointers. Isn't that what the STL is for?
- Eh well a custom C++ parser is beyond the scope - I am going to use a language that supports reflection for scripting.
- visual scripting is not needed too.

3 hours ago, _Silence_ said:

Why I did told you to start alone was in order you to gain some experience. Nothing replaces experience. If you don't have any or few, then you'll feel lost in a team. You will not loose time by learning alone. Knowing some graphics things is one thing, which is important right, but knowing how to make things go round is something else.

Isn't it possible to gain experience together with someone else who is on the same level as me?