• Advertisement
DaTueOwner

Anyone who wants to write a little game engine?

1 hour ago, DaTueOwner said:

- Why would I want custom containers and smartpointers. Isn't that what the STL is for?
- Eh well a custom C++ parser is beyond the scope - I am going to use a language that supports reflection for scripting.
- visual scripting is not needed too.

These are all things a full engine like ue4 has. I think Fulcrum has concluded that was what you wanted.

I think the reason you're not getting tons of offers for help is because newbies are too inexperienced to have the knowledge to want to join in and experienced developers have already accepted that the modern gamedev world rarely writes custom engines outside of AAA, and has moved on to off the shelf solutions years ago and doesn't see the point in helping.

As others have said, progress alone and you'll learn tons more.

Good luck!

Advertisement

I am going to use a language that supports reflection for scripting.

You anycase need to map script-side objects methods and properties to C++ objects method and so on. It require same RTTI tables. So it no any sence to use scripting languages at all.

Isn't that what the STL is for?

Is stl smartpointers support for example self deletion of objects or 2-way pointers scheme that much better works for anything that based on composite patterns?

Is stl vector have  controled growth policy and variant with only pointer into static part that for huge trees of elements works much better becouse 90+% of elements have no childs ?

Is it possible to make allocator that allow to use vector for GPU-side buffers?

Really it simplier to make it custom than make a wrappers for stl.  

visual scripting is not needed too.

I talk not about visual scripting. It really nonsence. I talk about visual inspection of object proprties, visual bindings to other objects, etc.   

Eh well a custom C++ parser is beyond the scope

Also it depends from dialect of C++ that you use. If it dont have nonstandart language extensions, __clang API can be used to obtain RTTI tables, that is part of dictionary built during compilation.

Edited by Fulcrum.013

Isn't that what the STL is for?

Yes stl intended for its purposes. But like about any standart library it good for about any use-case, for cost that it is best for about nothing.

Edited by Fulcrum.013

1 hour ago, Brain said:

I think Fulcrum has concluded that was what you wanted.

Really i just figured out thing that required to make a gaming engine, that allow load and process anything that required for simulation, instead of graphics stuff only, where dynamic polimorphism can can be completely avoided for scene onjects, so saving/loading of scene, built into external modelling tools, have no any difficulties. 

Okay thanks for the awesome responses and the input guys,

I guess I will try to do it on my own first and keep you all updated ;)
Let's see how far I can get on my first attempt lol. 

I did work on my own graphics engine once. Not because I expected it to go anywhere but because I love graphics and wanted the learning experience
https://github.com/lambertjamesd/Krono

Krono.thumb.png.ca2c047f0f4497a6b206bc4536165177.png

I am willing to give you any tips or help out, but I don't plan on writing any code. I have a game I am working on right now that takes up most of my free time

10 hours ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

Nobody says that it not important part. But it really not so complexive as most of other parts, that works to drive a quality realistic animation  ,simulate behavior of enemies and so on. And also phisical optics and computationl geometry, that is background of rendering, have no blanks or factors that very hard to obtain, unlike for example theory of impact, ballistic, and many other theories that is background of simulation.

It depends on where to  make i line betwin graphics and anything other. For example for particles, only rendering of it related to graphics stuff. Anything else like caluclation of it trajectory and so on related to phisics and other simulation, unlike most of people call anything of it "graphics effects". 

You're wrong that graphics is not as complex as most other parts of a game engine.   You are correct that it depends on where you draw the line, but generally "graphics" refers to everything from rendering of primitives, shaders, lighting, animation, particle effects, post-render effects, and more.  There is a reason why most large teams not only have dedicated graphics programmers, but often an entire team of programmers just to do the graphics.   This is even more the case today with the modern graphics API's like DirectX 12 and Vulkan.  There are even more complex and difficult to use than the previous generations.   In fact, much of the reason why third-party engines are so popular today is because most teams cant get to that level of graphics complexity and quality without them.  

15 hours ago, Fulcrum.013 said:

Small games require a same set of engine componets as huge games. Only difference betwin small demo and huge AAA game is size of world and quantity of objects and  models contained by modeled world. But it simulate same processes and use same algos to render results of simulation.

Again no. A little game might just be rendering with scene-graph fashion. Big games with very large world will use a lot of things to optimize, otherwise the game will be slow. A little game will tend to have simplistic structures and simplistic algorithms. Large games will have to make a lot of efforts so that the game is playable. What you say was true 15-20 years ago maybe. Not now. On big companies there are many developers, many artists and many other people around. The process is very complex and long. Some of them have PhD, and this is sometimes required to ensure he/she would understand and be able to devise new Technics, algorithms... Take UE, Unity, Unigine. Make them run the same scene. And see the results: not the same looking, not exactly the same colors, not the same framerate, not the same motion, not the same sensations ! What make these engines be different is not the fruit from hazard.

I suggest you forget about your beliefs and start a new learning process. Take it as a mean to reach the next level.

8 hours ago, DaTueOwner said:

Okay thanks for the awesome responses and the input guys,

I guess I will try to do it on my own first and keep you all updated ;)
Let's see how far I can get on my first attempt lol. 

Sure. There are several (few) engines in the project section. Add it there so that people can follow your trajectory but only once you'll feel ready for this (for your second engine maybe 😅).