• Advertisement
Josheir

C++ Virtual Machine Questions

I am needing to test a program on multiple window operating systems.  Somewhere I read that the way to do this is using virtual machines.  Is this dependable?  Also, can I use a vm to successfully determine all the additional files I will need to install, for example dlls and runtimes, on my clients computers?  Is it true that the VM doesn't see anything on the real computer?

Thanks so much; easy if you can please,

Josheir

Edited by Josheir

Advertisement

1. Yes, except things like 3D acceleration

2. Yes

3. You need a shaving. Either this or please put a sticker on your webcam.

So, the VM is basically loaded with what their new computer has at start?

(Oh, by the way, your making me paranoid!)   :)

Josh

Yes, you need to install OS to a virtual harddrive as usual, then you have a fresh windows and you can be sure it has no stuff already installed. (I always used an ISO file of Windows CD, but stick should work too.)

The virtual harddrive is a file on your real computer, so you could copy it to avoid installing OS again and again for each test. But virtual machines have options for this built in, like making snapshots or duplicating virtual HDs, and they want you to use those options to make it harder than necessary, but it works finally after a bit of patience.

You can also do things like sharing folders over a virtual network, or allow copy and paste to exchange data.

It's pretty comfortable.

Edited by JoeJ

Okay, I thought I just install the VM and it would work as though it is the chosen Operating System.  So, why are you mentioning an ISO and stick?  

Thanks,

Josheir

ISO or stick is to install the OS ta a VM. For example you have:

Windows Install USB Stick

Linux Install CD

MacOS Install CD

You can than create 3 virtual harddisks on your VM, and install all 3 OSes to one of them.

You can even run all 3 OSes at the same time in 3 windows. (This is common for virtual webservers: One large server hosts many virtual machines. If one crashes, the others keep working.) You can run Windows ten times if you have enough ram, etc....

But you can not transfer your real OS to the virtual machine, or at least this would be hard to do.

(It probably is illegal to run MacOS on a Windows host, i guess, but technically it works)

Edited by JoeJ

You do not need (or want) to install an OS in a VM. Download VirualBox and find a premade image for each OS you need. I've been able to locate them in the past without much hassle, mostly legal. Even MS had some Windows premade images on their website that was available to download.

Here are the MS images...

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

and Ubuntu here...

https://www.osboxes.org/ubuntu/

Also, this will get me some flack but forget about anything but Windows on the desktop, for now at least. Mac and Linux are around 4% of the desktop market combined. Supporting Linux is a noble endeavor but Just Say No.  Apple wants to piss all over OpenGL and Vulkan so just refuse to play their game.

Edited by fleabay

56 minutes ago, fleabay said:

for now at least

If he (and anyone else) would follow your advise, then probably forever ;)

19 hours ago, fleabay said:

Here are the MS images...

There are four versions of Windows 7 each with a different browser.  I guess to test my application on Windows 7 I would setup the VM with the first choice (IE 8).  I wonder though, will this be the initial windows installation that I can depend on for determining what my client doesn't have and therefore what they need to run my application?

Thanks,

Josheir